removing toilet?

I would like to replace my toilet,but removing the tank is not too bad,but I'm concerned about getting all the water that's trapped in the bowl,I have to carry it through a carpeted area and my would wife shoot me if got water on the carpet,it seems like you sponge all the water out,but there is always a little left in bowl trap.Thanks for any suggestions.

Reply to
Tony Pacc

Try using a shop vac to suck all the water out.

Reply to
scott21230

Sponge and a bucket.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Turn the supply valve off. Flush the toilet (won't be much water left in it). Get all the water out of the tank (towel and wringing it dry, or whatever method you want to use). Remove the the tank. Unbolt the toilet. Take it to the shower/bath tub, hold it and rotate it so that the remaining water runs/drips out the bottom. Put it in a garbage bag and carry it out.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Thus spake Tony Pacc:

Buy a turkey baster (huge eye-dropper thing). After flushing the toilet, suck out what remains into a bucket. Unbolt the base and drain any remaining water into the tub. Bag it and carry it outside.

Don't put the baster where a family member might grab it and put in the kitchen draw for future use. I mark mine with permanent marker "For toilets only!" before I begin the task, which should keep all English-speakers apprised.

Good luck,

Reply to
DaveC

Very large cork.

Reply to
Goedjn

I'd put "get new wife" at the top of my to do list.

Bigamy ... one wife too many. Monogomy ... same thing :-).

Reply to
bowgus

Put it in a large heavy duty trash bag.

Reply to
Jeff

why are you replacing the toilet? if its a older water waster its likely better than a new toilet?

Reply to
hallerb

Differences between nagging wife and a toilet seat:

(Originally "Differences between U of Michigan girls and toilet seats," found on a restroom wall at Ohio State)

  1. Toilet seats take a lot of shit without complaining.
  2. You can get used to the looks of a toilet seat.
  3. Holes in toilet seats don't get stretched out.
  4. Toilet seats always go down for you.
  5. Toilet seats don't get headaches.
  6. You can TALK to a toilet seat.
  7. Toilet seats seldom come unhinged.
  8. Toilet seats are ready when you are.
  9. Toilet seats warm up quickly.

(and many others)

Reply to
HeyBub

Not necessarily. My new Toto Drakes easily outperform the various high flush volume toilets they replace. No contest.

As to the original question, after you remove the tank, quickly pour a

5-gallon bucket of water in the bowl. The hard siphon action will remove nearly all the water. Then, either use a sponge, or even better, a shop vac to remove the little that remains.

It's not a bad idea to carry it out with a garbage bag underneath, just in case there are a few drips or in case some old wax ring falls off. You don't want that stuff falling on a carpet!

Reply to
mike

Puh-leeze. It's just a glorified coffee mug. Don't let it intimidate you.

Don gloves and eye protection. Apply hammer. Bust it up, pulverize it, and put it in a cardboard box or trash bin. Yes, right in the bathroom.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

IMHO:

You got the idea with sponges, but for any remaining water, or moisture, you can get a storage bin that is large enough to hold the bowl. Kinda of big plastic box you used to store Christmas decorations. Just put the bowl inside the plastic box and slide accross the wife senstive carpet.

Just guessing out loud....

tom @

Tom The Great

The plastic storage bin is a good idea, but slide it? A wc without without a tank attached does not weigh much. I don't have have any trouble carrying one and I am comparatively, small, weak and nearly 68.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Amen to that! Just installed a Toto. Wish I had known about them years ago. That flush is scary!

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

some low volume toilets dont flush well when people eat a nice high fibre diet.

other low volume toilets flush great but are noisey, waking others in the middle of the nite isnt a good idea.

Reply to
hallerb

what if it's just a plastic or wooden item or toy stuck in the built-in trap causing a poor flush? after you wet vac out the water and remove the base bolts, set on old towels in the tub. run a snake with an old towel attached to the end of the snake thru the trap all the way in each direction. otherwise:

T> I would like to replace my toilet,but removing the tank is not too bad,but

Reply to
buffalobill

I recently installed an elongated right height American Champion in one of my bathrooms because the toilet that it replaced often took two or three flushes to remove everything from the bowl. The AC does on the first try; every time. What it doesn't do particularly well is wash down the sides of the bowl at the same time. But it does empty the bottom of the bowl every time.

The flush is a little startling at first to someone who hasn't experienced it before. And since I live alone, I don't care about the noise.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Reply to
Tony Pacc