removing drywall

Hi all, I bought a house 2 years ago with a half finished basement. The basement is very drafty and cold in the winter. I have it set up as my TV room so it get used quite a bit. I had to remove some dry wall to look at a pipe and noticed they drywalled over a window and there is no insulation or vapor barrier behind the drywall. A total half assed job. My question is: can i remove the drywall, insert the insulation and put the drywall back in place that I removed? Shouild I just re-drywall it with new drywall? The current drywall is allpainted and you can't see the drywall nails. thanks Steve

Reply to
not Steve Buscemi

Figure on buying new sheetrock. I doubt whether you can get the old drywall off without breaking most of it, unless you find every nail, dig it out, and cut all seams covered in paper tape and joint compound.

Reply to
willshak

Reply to
Art Todesco

When i checked the window it loooks as though they attempted to caulk it but probably didn't do a good job because there clearly is a draft coming from the window. I'm think maybe i'll rplace the window and re-drywall the downstairs with insulation this time. Does that sound like the smart thing to do? Should i use vapor barrier as well? steve

Reply to
not Steve Buscemi

NS> When i checked the window it loooks as though they attempted to caulk it bu

NS> probably didn't do a good job because there clearly is a draft coming from NS> the window. I'm think maybe i'll rplace the window and re-drywall the NS> downstairs with insulation this time.

The draft might be coming from _around_ the window. Not sure about basement windows but before the first floor windows here were replaced could sometimes feel a breeze from around the molding.

NS> > > Figure on buying new sheetrock. I doubt whether you can get the old NS> > > drywall off without breaking most of it, unless you find every nail, di

NS> > > it out, and cut all seams covered in paper tape and joint compound.

And yes, figure on installing new sheetrock. There is no way you would be able to remove the nails holding the panels to the wall without damaging the surface. Plus you'd have to repair the seams, which is going to require remudding and repainting. The amount of money you would save by attempting to salvage the drywall isn't worth the hassle.

  • Exercising at work: Putting my foot in my mouth
Reply to
barry martin