Removing cat odor from carpeting

I moved into a house that had pets. No matter what I do, I cant seem to remove the cat odor from the carpeting. I have heard there are special products for this, but what are they and where do I get them. It seems the odor comes out as the temperature rises too.

Can anyone help.

Thanks

I moved into a home where the people had a cat and dog. The carpet stunk and at closing I insisted on money for new carpet. But then I read on a newsgroup about a product called Nature's Miracle - sold at pet stores. I bought a gallon for $20 - and used it with my carpet shampooer. It cleaned up the odor and got rid of the dirt too. I can put off buying that carpet for a couple years now. Any pet store has this product or a similar one.

Reply to
Harry Everhart

The cat urine is not only in the carpet, but the padding, and the floor underneath. All must be dealt with. Toss the carpet and pad. Have the substrate (concrete or wood) cleaned. Start over. You CAN do lesser things, like having the carpet cleaned, but the water just takes more into the pad and floor. It makes it better for a bit until you have humid days. You CAN take the carpet and pad out and have it professionally cleaned, but there will always be some in the flooring.

If you are going to clean, do it once and do it right.

I got this from a friend who is a professional carpet dealer.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Usually it's a case of removing the carpets to remove the odor. I just ripped out a bunch of my carpet and replaced with saltillo tiles. We didn't have pet odors but I was amazed at the crap that the carpet had in it and the stains on the bottom. I'm now planning to rip it all out of the bedrooms and install hardwood floors. I know this didn't help much but good luck. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

If it is soaked in the only option is to rip out the carpets, seal the floor and put in new carpets. Bleach and polyurethane work wonders.

Reply to
Clark Griswold

Steve Manes Brooklyn, NY

Steve Manes