Brushcutters

Hi:

I need to cut down very thorny, woody brush, about a quarter acre to half acres worth. Machete doesn't do the trick at all. Just bounces off the brush. Trimmers with cords, forget about it. I need a hand held brushcutter with a saw at the end. The ones with toothed saws from Stihl and Husqvarna top out at around 800 bucks. Cheapest ones are under 400. Too much for one day's need.

I have a John Deere C1200 gas trimmer. At Lowes, I saw a Troy Bilt brushcutter blade attachment for 69 bucks. A four pronged blade, not saw-toothed. COuldn't find info on the web whether this attachment could be used for this John Deere brand. I remember the box stated works on most brands of gas trimmers. I am assuming it is best for Troy Bilt products.

Anyone here used the Troy Bilt brushcutter blade attachment?

I also saw pruning and edger attachments at Home Depot and Lowes. I wonder if the pruning attachent could be used since the brush I have is essentially small branches. Not sure if continuous use of an electric pruning attachment like a trimmer is recommended.

Reply to
Doe John

The key is the trimmer needs a straight shaft with a solid driveshaft; not a flex-shaft (even if it is straight).

That 4-tooth blade is "weed blade" and does a fine job of cutting heavy grass and non-woody weeds. A "brush blade" look just like a circular saw blade with 20 or more teeth. They don't work as well as a weed blade on grass and tender weeds, but can handle anything up to 1/2" or more saplings.

I have an Echo SRM-2200 trimmer that I bought over 15 years ago. It can take metal blades and would handle trimming 1/2 acre of brambles, but it might be a *little* underpowered for the job. You can buy comparable Echo trimmers for about $300. Don't buy a big monster trimmer like my dad did; they are too heavy and unwieldy.

A quick google search looks like the C1200 probably has a curved shaft; if so, I wouldn't try to adapt a blade for it or you will spring the driveshaft.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Sharpen the machete. Actually, skip the machete and buy a brush-hook and/or bank blade like these:

--Goedjn

Reply to
Goedjn

Look into renting something such as a weed wacker with circular saw blade. it sounds like a one day cut 1 day cleanup . Long handle pruning shears if the thorns are not to low. A pole trimming saw will keep you out of thorns. It is a small area and work will be all day electric would not be that bad.

Reply to
m Ransley

John,

I'm not familiar with your line trimmer but doubt that it will work well as a brush cutter. Your owners manual will address this question so read it and perhaps describe needed parts. You can rent a brush cutter by the day.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

driveshaft;

Just curious - why not a flex shaft? I've used one for 10 years and have not had any problems.

I use a 8 1/4" carbide tipped circular saw blade on my Polan weedeater and routinely cut saplings up to 4". (No comments about safety - I keep the rpm's well below specs). They even make a brush blade with a chain saw chain around a circular saw blade frame. Looks agressive but does not work as well as a standard saw blade.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

How about a swing blade? (I forgot about those until y'all mention the brush hooks.)

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Goedjn is right you need a brush hook. If you have never used one then stick to a strap brush hook that is sharpened on one edge only. An adz eye or blood brush hook and a bank blade are not for beginners. With a little care and practice a brush hook will make relatively short work of the brambles. The other approach is to rent a walk behind brush mower.

-- Tom H

Reply to
Takoma Park Volunteer Fire Dep

If the blade hits something hard and stops abruptly (like a stump) it can unwind the flex shaft -- just my opinion, I don't have any references.

I've cut 1" mesquite with mine with a 7.5" blade, but it was a bitch. I wouldn't want to cut a bunch of saplings with a brush cutter when an axe would be so much easier.

I have a short (about 10") lawnmower blade on mine. ==(8-0 It doesn't kickback nearly as much as you would expect.

I mostly use the weed blade when the monsoons come and it rains every day for 2 weeks and I have to cut the overgrown grass in the lawn wet. It works much better than the lawnmower in that case.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

zxcvbob wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

for half an acre? LOL

Reply to
Stephen King

I have a sling blade, I think that is what it is called, but it only works with the dead brush, not the living ones. Unfortunately Home Depot and Lowes does not carry anything like a brush hook. Ames makes a couple of Ditch blades.

If I could get to the trunks of the brush, I could cut them with pruners. However, there is a tremendous amount of overgrowth of thorny branches. I would have to wear a suit of armor and crawl underneath to use the pruner. Will the brush hook/ditch blade hack away at the thorny outergrowth branches? Using a pruner to cut away at the individual branches to get to the center would take forever.

THanks

Reply to
Doe John

Go to your local hardware store. Tell them you want to rent a brush hog. See what they got. Why fart around with hand tools, wasting time? Coupla bucks in you'll be driving a tractor, chewing all that mess into mulch.

Reply to
tm