Removing A Really Frozen Oil Fill Plug ? Liquid Wrench, Or... ?

Yet more heat, on the case, around the plug. Like, with oxy-acetylene burn tip (minus central oxygen jet of course) until it glows. I'd make sure the plug was not in contact with the oil, and heat it quickly, intensely, and carefully.

Especially if it's a cast plug, impact wrench likely will just shear it in two.

Or, drill plug and use extractor. If really bad, you might try drilling it out to just shy of the threads and then re-tap the threads. Depending on orientation, you might have problem with chips getting into lube.

Some old-timer may have a can of Chrysler manifold heat-control-valve solvent. Great stuff, with moderate heating, for getting frozen stuff "thawed."

HTH, J

Reply to
barry

Hello:

Have a very old (Ariens, 30 yrs of age) snowblower that has a cast iron, apparently, gear case. They sure did build them in those days.

Has a grease/oil fill plug on it (NPT I think) that I would like to remove, and re-fill.

Have tried the Liquid Wrench treatment, and also a torch on it.

Really frozen solid. Nothing has worked.

Is there anything "better" than Liquid Wrench available ?

Any thoughts on how to remove would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

IF you figure out how to do it let me know. For the last 10 years, I've just tipped mine over and emptied the oil out of the fill spout. IF you have the same fill plug I have, I think your supposed to wedge a long srew driver between the prongs and use it as a lever. I bent my screw driver....never mind......

Reply to
Jmagerl

What kind of torch? I can't recall anything that didn't come w/ heat and leverage...

If all else does fail, drill it out.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Pneumatic impact wrench, the one you see at the tire shop.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

Hi, Ditto. I got frustrated too many times, went out bought an air compressor and air tools. Made my works lot easier. I use compressor to blow out sprinklers for winterizing as well. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Air wrench should work to take it out. Just don't use it to put it back in. Sounds silly, but I have seen oil change shops where they do just that.-Jitney

Reply to
jtnospam

Actually, sometimes a rattle wrench will break rust loose. Good idea.

Other ideas: Aerokroil (netsearch, adn ye shall find) is supposed to be good.

Also may wish to try a hotter torch.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yeah, and I've seen the results--plugs rounded off to the point of being useless and cross-threaded on re-insertion... :(

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

try a bigger wrench. be carefull heating cast iron ,it tends to crack

Reply to
ds549

Just be careful with cast iron. No hammers to break it free or your be looking at a new gear case or new blower if you cant get the part.

Tom

Reply to
BocesLib