Remove haze from grout

Last week, I tiled a kitchen floor, and everything went wonderfully. Soon after grouting, I removed the grout from the tile, and the tile looks fabulous. But, the grout itself has a white haze/film on top of it. I've been spraying it down a few times each day (as per the grout's instructions), and it seems to be getting worse - so I imagine that it might be "water-spots".

Any tips on removing this before I seal the grout? I've been thinking of some dilute viengar in purified water, but wanted to see what others recommend.

steve

Reply to
Steve Wolfe

OK, I'm no 'whiz' at tiling but I am in the process of doing my own house.

What I remember from 'tiling class' (FREE at Home Depot stores) was that I should use distilled water, as local water has something in it that reacts poorly with the tiling process.

So far I have been well pleased with my results but DAMN I'M SLOW, Lewis.

*****
Reply to
limeylew

What you have is efflorescence. It is the soluble salts coming to the surface of the grout. You need to let the grout cure and then clean with a vinagar and water solution. If that doesn't work you can getsufamic acid at one of the box stores.

Reply to
LBaker

Thanks a million. It had cured for four days as of yesterday, I took some straight vinegar and a plastic scrub brush to one tile, and while it didn't completely get rid of it, it made it noticeably better. Now to scrub all of the grout in the kitchen. : )

steve

Reply to
Steve Wolfe