Removable Second Window

I'd like to install a thick sheet of glass on the inside of my existing window to improve the sound insulation. I'd like to have this glass be removable in case of fire and to allow access to the alarm contacts on the outer window, but I still want a tight seal.

I can imagine a variety of structures and fasteners that could allow this, but I'm not sure what's available in the real world. What I think I need most is some frame to attach the glass to that's permanent, and then some way to attach this frame to a lip inside my window opening that will press it firmly against a rubber gasket.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to products that might help?

Thanks!

Reply to
gesres

Why not just install a storm window on the outside ? They cut down on the noise and wind and are easily opened.

snipped-for-privacy@boundvortex.com wrote:

Reply to
Joey

I guess that's an easy option. I hadn't seriously considered that because my research of NG archives indicated that they weren't as effective as custom solutions. Plus, they're expensive compared to a sheet of glass.

Still, they have the advantages you pointed out and I could always add the sheet of glass later if they sound insulation wasn't enough. I will look into it further. Thanks!

Reply to
gesres

also google search for noise cancelling headphones

consider decorative heavy sound absorbant curtains, blankets, tapestry rugs.

Reply to
buffalobill