Remote Control Gas Fireplace

I purchased a house and have a gas fireplace which has been previously used as a woodburning fireplace. The gas pipe is in place and there is a key which controls the gas valve near the face of the fireplace. I would like to convert the fireplace to gas which I guess means getting the gas logs but I would also like to make it remote control. I would like to be able to control the off/on and flame height.

Does anybody have any experience with these or suggestions on a brand or type to go with?

Thanks :)

Reply to
Cindy

On Sun 25 Sep 2005 10:30:53p, Cindy wrote in alt.home.repair:

Not personally, but here's a starting point.

Wayne Boatwright

Reply to
Evon Barvinchack

I put one in myself. I bought the log set from Lowes at their superbowl half price sale. They have good deals if you want to wait. Also Costco sold log sets last winter. Its a straight forward job, but you'll have to get the remote from the internet. I've only seen them online, or as someone suggested go to a store. I'm sure I saved over $1000, maybe $2000 doing it myself. I spent around $120 including the gas pipe, $69 for 13" vented log set and the rest for the gas pipe fixtures, and lava rock and extra little logs. It seemed,on the internet, that you can get log sets with remote or have adjustable flame, getting both is hard to find, although I'm sure not impossible. I looked for remotes and decided I didn't care and am too cheap to buy one. The vented sets had adjustable flames, the unvented were on/off. I like that I can turn off the pilot light every time, that little flame puts out a lot of heat on a warm day. If you're investing in a remote with adjustable flame, I recommend electronic ignition if you can find it.

Reply to
suenoir