Remodeling Questions

Hi,

I own a townhouse, and am considering remodeling and redecorating it. I have no idea where to start. I'd like to have a profesisonal take a look at it and give me some ideas about what COULD be done with the interior spaces. I have some vague ideas about what I'd like, but I think a pro would be able to help me to come up with some solid ideas before proceeding with construction. What does the group suggest? I suppose that I should start browsing remodeling magazines (any recommendations?), but what sort of company gives the kind of advice that I seek?

I assume that the contractors can provide suggestions, but hopefully I can find a more disinterested party.

I live in a large metropolitan area (Oklahoma City) so there should be plenty of local resources.

Reply to
frank

frank wrote in news:gxaqb2szehw4$.11nqau49mkgve$. snipped-for-privacy@40tude.net:

You need to look for an interior designer -- the trick is finding one that is good enough to make you happy. The better ones will also act as a general contractor (if you wish).

Reply to
Murray Peterson

: > I own a townhouse, and am considering remodeling and redecorating it : : Other than that, do like what a lot of the rest of us do. Get drunk, : stare at the room, let your imagination run and say, "Hey, what if ..." : Some pretty interesting things happen that way every now and then. :

Actually, that is some great advice... (well, maybe not the getting drunk %) ), but thinking outside the box...

As SWMBO and I pondered our kitchen remodel options, I half-assed tossed out a suggestion that we relocate the garage/kitchen entry door. Doing so would move it from a corner and give us more cabinet/counterspace... And required relocating the H2O heater. But we sure are enjoying the new kitchen layout...

Rick

Reply to
pray4surf

The suggestions you've gotten regarding designers is a good idea.

In my business (paperhanger) I work with a lot of them. Each of them seems to have a talent that differs from one to the other. One might be into contemporary, the next early american. It's amazing I can look at a picture & determine which designer did the room.

Keep in mind there are designers & there are decorators. We call them "debby decorators". I could call myself a decorator. Stay away from them.

Do a search for ASID certified designers in you area.

One of the first questions you might be asked is about your budget. Sticker shock, you betcha !

But I'd think you could get one of them out for some brief consultation to give you some ideas.

Reply to
Truitt Bottsford III