how to find contract to remodel bathroom?

How to find contract to remodel bathroom? We live in Silicon Valley, south San Francisco bay area, We want to find experience contractor with good references and record. We need to re-model our main bathroom and convert tub to shower. But there is a window around 5 feet up the wall.

Any suggestions shall be much appreciated.

Reply to
A John Wright

Are you asking about how to find a contractor as in a remodeler, or a contract as in a paper legal document?

Contractors have their own contracts or use standard contracts. It really doesn't matter where the contract originates as long as your lawyer reviews it and makes any necessary modifications.

Nice area if you like Silicon.

Here's a place to start:

can vouch for Harrell in Mountain View.

Alrighty.

Usually not a big problem. The window may need to be replaced, and the window may need to have tempered or safety glass depending on exactly how high the window is above the floor of the tub. Your local code and building inspector will determine if it's required.

RicodJour

Thanks. Yes, we are looking for contractors to remodel our bathroom. Hopefully we can convert the tub to shower. Can you tell me typically how much it will cost in Silicon Valley areas? Have anyone have good experiences with the list of names for home repair in Home Depot?

Reply to
A John Wright

You pretty much always can. You can really do just about anything in residential remodeling until you run short of $. If you're looking for the quickest and cheapest way to convert a tub to a shower, this type of thing is probably it:

Typically? No. Your desires and tastes, and your house's conditions have at least as much of an effect on the price as the swing between contractors' prices. Start asking around with neighbors who have had success with remodeling their bathroom and get some recommendations. As it seems you are totally new to this, it might not be a bad idea to hire someone to manage the project for you.

Home Depot is essentially a reseller of remodeling services, and, as in everything they sell, it's all about volume and buying low. The better contractors simply do not work for Home Depot. There are many many horror stories about Home Depot getting dabbling in remodeling. Do a Google search and you'll see what I mean.

RicodJour

I am more interested in permanent shower with fix glass enclosure to replace our current tub.

Yes, this is too big a job for diy. Do you think $5000 is around the right figure?

If not Home Depot, where else? Orchard Supply? Lowe? Anyone have experience with Costco?

Reply to
A John Wright

None of the above. Ask everyone you know at work and in your neighborhood if they've worked with any contractors and been happy with their work. That's always the first way to find someone to work on anything in your home.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom