Remodeling questions

Two questions regarding a kitchen remodel now under way. There are several places where someone previously did a lousy job sanding down drywall joint compound. These places were painted over. What would be the best solution? I've thought about just sanding the area or removing the paint first and then sand it, or spread a thin layer of joint compound over the painted area, sand it nicely, and paint over it. The second question deals with removing layers of paint from window trim. My wife worked long and hard, using paint remover, to get off several layers of paint from the wood around the window. But there is still places where there are little spatters of paint that refuses to budge. We are planning on staining the window to match the new cabinets. Would sanding the wood with a palm sander now be the thing to do? If so, what grit paper should I use? Or, since we are staining the would anyway, would it be necessary to get every speck of paint removed?

Reply to
rile

Lightly rough up the paint and skimcoat a repair. For the windows you need someone to look at them, You can over sand, undersand, under strip, Prestain is a good idea and stains may need thinning or double coating, Alot of learning for quality work. Get a book.

Reply to
m Ransley

Sand it. Take care not to get down into the paper.

Little spatters of paint should come off with paint remover. If it is paint in nail holes, put a dab of paint remover on the spot, let it work, scrub with an old toothbrush or dig it out with a toothpick, wipe off paint and remover with fine steel wool, wash as directed on paint remover container. It could be wood filler or spackle applied to dents or nail holes, in which case you need to cover it as it won't likely "stain" the same as the wood. You probably could cover the light spots with paint the color of the medium tone in the wood as it will be when stained - hobby acrylic or oil paint, mixed by you :o) Then stain and finish.

Reply to
norminn