Reinstalling basin

The two bathroom washbasins in this house are different. Both are set into tiled countertops. One rests on a rubber (?) gasket. The other has no gasket, and appears to have lifted 1 mm. at one edge; water leaks into the cupboard underneath (creeping round the lifted edge of the basin? The basin with the gasket has noo such leaks.)

Is it feasible to reinstal this washbasin, simply by unfastening the retaiiners (if not too rusty) and inserting a gasket? Should this be a premoulded rubber gasket or a bead of caulk?

Reply to
Don Phillipson

If the sink does not move when you press on it. I would be tempted to caulk it without removing it. If you do decide to remove it, could set the sink into a bead of caulk or plumber putty.

To remove the sink, you will need to release the retainers, remove the drain and disconnect the water lines.

Reply to
noname87

Bead of silicone would work. (Plumber showed me a neat trick a few weeks ago, he uses a popsicle stick rather than a finger to "wipe" the bead. Does a nice job.

Ken

Reply to
bambam

If you do use a finger to wipe caulk,first dip it in a cup of dish washing liquid and water....heavy on the dishwashing liquid.

Reply to
digitalmaster