Refrigerator Questions??

I have a Kenmore refrigerator, about 12 years old. It is a "side by side" type, with the freezer on the left side.

I have two questions:

  1. What should the temperature of the refrigerator area be, if the temp control is set to the coldest setting?

  1. If the freezer area is working very well and is very, very cold, what are the most common defects that would cause the refrigerator area to fail to cool as it should ? (My guess is that it has something to do with the internal circulation between the freezer and refrig part, but I am not sure how this works).

---------------

I will appreciate any helpful hints !!!

--James--

Reply to
James

Thank you very much Edwin, a very good site too.

--James--

Reply to
James

Don't know, but it must be below 40 at any time tokeep food save.

Good guess. There may be a blockage of some sort, or the little evaporator fan is not working. this is very common. I've replaced the fans on a few fridges over the years. It can be a bit time consuming finding althe clips andscrews to t get to it.

You can find more information and the motor, if needed, at

Edwin Pawlowski

I have a Kenmore refrigerator, about 12 years old. It is a "side by side" type, with the freezer on the left side.

I have two questions:

  1. What should the temperature of the refrigerator area be, if the temp control is set to the coldest setting? CY: About 20 or so.

  1. If the freezer area is working very well and is very, very cold, what are the most common defects that would cause the refrigerator area to fail to cool as it should ? CY: usually damnfools who crank both knobs up to the max, and then wonder why the refrig is warm.

(My guess is that it has something to do with the internal circulation between the freezer and refrig part, but I am not sure how this works). CY: That's true. In the case of fools cranking up the knobs, it's a sad function of the refrig. If the knobs are some where center of the scale, you more likely have a defrost problem.

---------------

I will appreciate any helpful hints !!! CY: Set the temperature knobs in the middle. If that doesn't help in 24 hours, post again here.

--James--

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

James,

The recommended ideal temp. for the freezer side is 0 degrees (zero Fahrenheit) while the refridegerator side should be a few degrees above freezing, typically 37 degrees (Fahrenheit).

Reply to
Craven Morehead

Thanks Craven, good info.

To Stormin' Norman:

I put the settings in their mid-position, and this did in fact improve the refrig cooling. But, it will only get as low as 43 degrees, which isn't good enough from the info that I have.

The freezer stays a few degrees below zero.

Thanks again guys !!

--James--

Reply to
James