Refrigerator Dripping Inside

I have a 2 year old Whirlpool Gold series refrigerator that does not have a dispenser water hookup but has recently started dripping from the freezer into the refrigerator. In the freezer there is a plastic funnel in front of the fan, it seems the water may be coming from the fan area onto the funnel and then into the refrigerator. The only thing I can think of is humidity buildup but this is December in the Rocky Mtns. No water outside or under and the compressor is clean.

Thanks snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
Mike Morgan

psull the kick panel off the bottom and look for the water pan that is suppoose to be under there to evaporate??? if its dry then you either have an ice build up blocking the drip tube or some other junk(like food particles, which are common causes) blocking the tube............... run some hot water down the little funnel(with a turkey baster-one of those large plastic eye dropper shaoped things. they sell them at the dollar stores and also at walgreens for about $2.00... i had to do this with our other refrigs. and do this about every 6 months.. its common problem and if you dont do it to make a path for the water to drip down the tube to the pan under the refrig. then the water will fall to the bottom of the box and just stay there... i also have to use a piece of rubber/plstic coated electrical wire, like an old non usable ext. cord that i cut a piece of the cord to push down the drain tube to clear it out.... get under the ref. with a flashlight and look for the water to drip down the tube into the pan.. it should do this... and the heat from the motor will evaporate it...

Reply to
jim

I just had the same thing happen here this past fall and I'd be glad to let you know how I corrected my problem. First thing I did was to fully defrost the unit. After letting it defrost, wipe the interior down. In the freezer, you may have some screws that hold the plastic bottom pieces down. Take them up and wipe that dead space down. Of course after that re-install the plastic and screws.

As Jim stated, remove the bottom grating and check the drip tray. Get out the old vacuum and suck all of that crap that is probably growing down there while you have everything out. If you are like 99.9% of Americans, this are will be disgusting. These things are all obvious things that you should try first.

I tried these things but still had a ton of water coming from the freezer. The thing that ultimately fixed this annoying problem - I backed the unit about 1 to 2 inches away from the wall. Believe it or not, my unit was too close to the wall and the airflow down by the drip tray area was so poor that it caused overheating of the coils which lead to excessive condensation.

Try it and let me know if it helped.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Agren

Sounds like you likely have a defrost water drain problem. You can see what areas of your fridge will have to be accessed on several makes and designs of refrigerators at the following link:

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to