Refinishing Hardwood Floor - the poly

I'm at the poing where I'm ready to start poly coats. Mamma wants oil based because it has a slight color. Shit!

Anyone ever hear to dilute the first coat with mineral spirits to aid in sealing?

Thanks, Red...

Reply to
Red Green

Take heart, oil based is supposed to be more durable. Dilution should be OK within reason. Some brands mention what the limit is on the label. When in doubt, call the manufacturer, or if you are dealing with a real paint store they will have the answer. I have had no problems with diluting PU to get the right viscosity for spraying. Cure is fine, subsequent brush coats OK. Oil based PU is best applied in the summer because some brands have a major odor problem that persists for a day or two. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I don't know if it aid sealing, but I get a smoother finish after the second or third coat. I thin about 10%.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

the label states how much it can be thinned, which is usually there because of the voc laws in place in different parts of the country, rather than what is technically ok for the product.

the label will also have an 800 # to call for further information.

Reply to
charlie

Poly can be tinted. Lookup Trans-Tint dyes used by woodworkers. Do lots of tests on samples first to get the color Mama wants.

Personally, I like oil and wax better because poly looks kind of plastic to me. But my kitchen floor has poly because it is resistant to all but the largest spills and will tolerate those if they are wiped up promptly.

-- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

Red Green wrote in news:Xns9A25C06F6E672RedGreen@216.196.97.136:

Thanks for the replies all.

I chose to pop for the can of sealer. Last thing I wanna do is fix another one of my F.U.'s :-) It's an alcohol base I believe. Also, looking at the color after it's sealed, if Bosslady says that's fine then the option of water or oil base poly is still open.

Red...

Reply to
Red Green

practice and test colors on some spare leftover pieces, not your floor.

Reply to
charlie