Recorded calls - - penalty?

I think I'm in big trouble.

This morning I got a call from a telemarketer and he told me I could have my ducts cleaned for $99 and they would do the dryer vent for FREE. He had all the information, like the address of the house I sold 5 years ago.

I told him what I thought of his company and sadly, I used the F word. He then told me "this call is being recorded". OMG, the FCC will probably be at my door for using bad language on a phone call. Will I do jail time? With luck, can I get off with just a fine?

I suggested he use the recording and play it back at the office party.

Oh, I got the same call last week from some outfit. They also had my old information. I made an appointment for tomorrow morning. Along the same line, the solar panel guy was not happy after he showed up there last week. He had a fake name I sometimes use for telemarketers.

Reply to
Ed P

My wife said I could go to jail for what I say to these people.

I told her I would be a millionaire off a go fund me account.

My fav was the woman that said she did not appreciate my profanity. I told her, "If you do not like my profanity, don't f****ng call me."

Then there was the lady that snarkily said, "Oh, you do not want me calling you?"

To which I said, "Either that or shove the phone up your ass."

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Hey, we could be cell mates! At 8:05 yesterday morning a woman told me I was rude.

She wanted to hook me up with solar panels and said "I'll be brief" so in turn I said I'd be brief too. "f*ck off"

Reply to
Ed P

Grumpy Old Men .. :-) I must live a charmed life - I get a real-person phone-sales call maybe every 2 or 3 weeks, if that. If it doesn't go to voicemail, I politely decline and say "Have a nice day." I once knew a nice lady who was between jobs and found work doing phone-sales - and I think of her before being rude to someone else who is forced into a crappy job to pay-the-rent.

More often it's a robo call which I let go to voicemail - < never leaving any actual message, thankfully > .. it's futile to get upset over those - carry on & be happy. John T.

Reply to
hubops

The guy that sticks a gun in your ribs may be starving too but I have no sympathy.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

On my cell phone, I got one that I answered, 12 that came up as "spam risk" and it is not quite 3PM yet.

Grumpy? Nah, I have the time to irritate them so while I do, they are not scamming some old lady.

Reply to
Ed P

That guy wouldn't make me think of my dear departed sister-in-law. It's so very easy to just say " No thanks bye bye. " John T.

Reply to
hubops

Has it occurred to you that they might enjoy adding your number to _all the scam lists on the web_ because of your .. helping a little old lady ? John T.

Reply to
hubops

Because they want you to waste the time of everyone else like them?

Reply to
Bob F

The robo dialers just do number after number. Automation at its best. Very few have any idea who they are talking to. A few will disconnect one the computer sees my number.

My landline I've had the same number for 6 years now, but a few times a week, I get calls for Dan. He is the previous person that had the number. I've made appointments for him too. Roof inspection, duct cleaning, etc. Nice guy that I am, one legitimate business called about AC service so I told them he no longer has the number and they said it would be corrected. The third time they called, weeks later, I made an appointment with them too.

Reply to
Ed P

Why do some of you answer calls from unknown callers? Let the call go to voice mail. Most of the scammers won't leave a message. If it's a valid call, many will. If it's an important call, they almost certainly will. Personally, I don't waste my time and adrenaline on answering calls with "unknown caller", just a city name as the caller's name, a caller's number of more than 10 digits, or a name entirely unknown to me.

Reply to
Retirednoguilt

Why? I often have the time to annoy the caller. No other reason.

Reply to
Ed P

I may have already won, from the Publisher's Clearing House.

Also, some days no one I know calls and I get lonely.

Also, I long for the days when I answsered every phone call.

Reply to
micky

That is what I do. If there is no name it goes to the answering machine. I will answer a call named Wirless Caller as that is what many cell phones seem to do.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Big + 1. Life is short - why provide free entertainment for the scammers ? .. with the rapidly leaking little time that you have left. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Also, this morning I called a small museum to see if they would be open this Sunday, and at 4 she called me back. I didn't recognize the caller-ID and I'd forgotten that i called anyone. Yes, she would have left a message, but I got more info by talking to her. Yes, I could have waited until the message started and picked up then. See t4he first 3 reasons.

Reply to
micky