Recommendations for rot resistant trim material

Am looking for trim material around windows and doors that is rot resistant. Looks like a tie between redwood and PVC boards but would consider others' experience. Thanks in advance.

11 year old house in Katy, TX. Window is on north side of house, does not touch ground, sprinklers on 2 to 3 times a week but Houston humidity is reknown. This is the 4th time window trim will be replaced. Builder's "whitewood" -- 1.5 years Replaced with yellow pine -- 3 years Replaced with pressure treated yellow pine -- 6 years
Reply to
Fireant

Redwood is rot resistant, but can get splintery if you don't seal it somehow. If you are happy with the looks of the PVC, I'd go with that, much less maintenance.

I'm amazed that you've had to replace that often in an 11 year old home, but then again, I live in a dry climate.

By the way, there are a whole bunch of people in another thread trying to figure out how get rid of ants, so watch out :-)

Regards

-Greg Pasquariello

Reply to
Greg Pasquariello

Did you prime * all * surfaces of the trim? TB

Reply to
tbasc

I know a guy who has redwood gutters and downspouts. He built the house in

1950 and they look just like new. Go with plastic unless you are independently wealthy.
Reply to
Bob

All pressure treated is NOT the same:(

The better stuff has a forever warranty.

Buy the stuff that the treatment penetrates the entire board, not just the surface.

Reply to
hallerb