recharge auto a.c.

I have a 1999 chrysler van and the a.c, doesn`t seem to put out very much cold air. I`ve seen the recharge kits at auto supply stores. Do they work and how do you use them? Thanks for any reply

Reply to
Herb Eneva

I assume it uses R134a, the auto parts stores carry a kit with a gauge but be careful and follow the directions because too much refrigerant will impair the operation of your AC. There are many videos on YouTube that can give you a good idea about how to proceed with recharging and testing your AC. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Yes. Follow instructions provided.

Worth noting. Other things do go wrong, in addition to "low freon". So, you might buy a kit, and waste your money. My Dad asked me to look at his car AC this weekend. I checked a few things. Got plenty of refrigerant, and the problem turned out to be electrical.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The auto parts stores sell an inexpensive low side gauge that can be used to check it out first or perhaps it's part of their loan a tool program or one of the store employees might actually check it for you. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Recharge kits work sometimes. But if you're going to keep the car, use a dyed r134. That way if the r134 leaks out you know what needs fixing.

Reply to
Vic Smith

I own all sorts of leak detectors including a 100 watt UV flood light that has helped me find pinhole leaks on large commercial systems and it will illuminate the whole engine compartment of a vehicle. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Even if you end up taking the car to a shop, the dye can avoid a shop recharge with dye. Saves you money. Some shops don't use sniffers. My last fix on my Lumina we used 2 4' UV tubes in a shop-light fixture to finally find the condenser leak after moving a radiator cowl aside. Sure beats a UV penlight.

Reply to
Vic Smith

You need the condenser changed, most likely, before recharging. VERY common problem on that vehicle.

Reply to
clare

I have just found out that AutoZone sells a DVD on A/C maintenance and overhaul for US$7.99. I did learn some things that I didn't know, put I still need the information that is specific to my '02 Chrysler 300M.

The DVD covers testing, recharging ("topping up"), removal and replacement of condenser, accumulator or receiver-drier, compressor and lines, purging and refilling but not of replacing the evaporator (which is what I need to do).

The vehicle on which he demonstrated was a Chevy truck.

The auto parts stores sell recharge kits that include a a leak sealant, but I have read that these are not recommended: e.g., if your vehicle were still in warranty, use of such a product would void the warranty.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

On 7/3/2012 2:36 PM, Percival P. Cassidy wrote: ...

On top of which, unless one confirms there's not a leak of any significance; it's pretty much a crapshoot as to whether the recharge will last any time at all...

GM are (recently it seems) prone to blow compressor seals...had two in last year (98 and 99 PUs and neither has 100k on it) whereas generally I've had GM vehicles that never lost a charge entire time had tem...perhaps there's some issue w/ not as many miles and new refrigerants and seals; I don't know but I do know I'm not happy... :(

--

Reply to
dpb

If you have a leaker that you are going to scrap next year, use it. If you have any thoughts of having it "properly" repaired later, FORGET IT. The sealer CAN do nasty things to the refrigerant reclaiming systems and vacuum pumps used to do the proper repair.

Reply to
clare

I poured green goo out of the receiver-dryer on a Chevy van after an idiot kept putting can after can of R134a with leak sealer into the system. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

kept putting can after can of R134a with

TDD you wrong how ales will AC work on vehicle uses you put some Preston antifreeze in it

Reply to
Grumpy

kept putting can after can of R134a with

Reply to
Grumpy

my vans ac has been a bit anemic lately. yesterday the van overheated.......

i found the coolant level was very low. 1.5 gallons put in today i spent time cleaning out my van with the AC on and engine idiling. no leaks found but the AC was notably better.

if your AC isnt cooling well wait till your vehicles engine is totally cold and check the radiators coolant level.

my overflow bottle looked fine, but the radiator was near empty......... how wierd

Reply to
bob haller