recall - wall beds

safety recall - wall beds -

- if not installed properly, might fail & hurt you.

I was surprised at the number of these sold in Canada - 53000 - !

John T.

Reply to
hubops

I'd be interested in knowing exactly what is "failing" on these beds and causing them to fall. "The wall beds can detach from the wall"

The Bestar website has a series of 32 really short videos of the installation steps. Most are 30 secs to 1 min. Everyone of them, whether it is about opening the boxes, putting the mattress on the frame, or attaching the bed to the walls, opens with the same text about wall structure, studs, etc. A big yellow warning banner, a graphic of a bed falling on a person, etc. All 32 videos.

The video of the actual wall attachment step is extremely clear about not attaching the bed directly to drywall and shows the correct method for wood stud walls, metal stud walls and concrete walls.

The manual says "THE SCREWS MUST BE VERY WELL ANCHORED INTO STUDS." and "BESTAR is released from any responsibility if bed is not secured to the wall into wood or metal studs."

I'm curious if the failure ("The wall beds can detach from the wall) is because of a component failure of the frame itself or an improper attachment method by the installer.

Seems to me that incorrect installation shouldn't be a reason for a recall, especially if all available instructions are extremely clear.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

IIUC, they spring back up with your in them and trap you in the wall. That's what all the movies show.

Reply to
micky

Even if they werent' clear, woudlnt' the easy remedy be to send clear instuctions.

Reply to
micky

To the cemetery?

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Uh, yeah...that's what I am talking about. But whose fault is that? If users don't follow the clear instructions that were provided multiple times, in various ways, why does the company have to cover the cost of installation?

The instructions are very clear when it comes to the proper way to attach the bed to the wall.

The manual shouts "THE SCREWS MUST BE VERY WELL ANCHORED INTO STUDS." and "BESTAR is released from any responsibility if bed is not secured to the wall into wood or metal studs."

The videos show this warning numerous times...

...and they show this warning *32* times:

However, if the particle board is splitting or the provided hardware is failing, that's a different story. That's why I'd like to know the actual cause of the stated "The wall beds can detach from the wall" failure.

If it's user error, too bad. Heal up (if you're still alive) and install it correctly.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

In Canada, the company is offering "Free Inspection" ... ... wonder if these "inspections" will document all the terrible D I Y jobs and be used as defense in future litigation ? .. just a thought. ps : the beds have been selling since 2014 ; the fatallty was 2018 ; the recall 2022 .. John T.

Reply to
hubops