Really dumb electrical question.

Something like that. You'll need to have the power co. come out and pull your meter for you as well, and likely you'll need a permit and inspection before they'll hook it back up again.

Now the question is, "who makes the *best* new residential breaker panel" and that's a question I can't answer, although (again anecdotally) people seem to like Square-D QO. I haven't done much research into this because my house came with a 200A Siemens/ITE panel so I haven't had a need to worry about replacing it.

You'll likely need some AFCIs as well for the bedroom circuits

nate

Reply to
N8N

I believe the house is mid 60's so it is probably suspect. Why touch the meter? Coming into my house I have a main switch that shuts the power off to the dual 100 amp fuses in the box feeding the breaker panel. Everything is dead from that box inwards.... That main fuse/ switch panel is after the meter....

Reply to
BSAKing

As long as you can cut the power ahead of the box you're fine. Some boxes with a built in main the only wway to cut power to the box is to pull the meter. I've done it myself, no big deal. My power company didn't give me any grief when I called them and said they needed to swing by and put a new tag on it at their convinience. I suppose they could have but I figured better to beg forgiveness that seek permission. Plus I try to hang out and bs with the service guys when they show up, get better treatment that way.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

I believe the house is mid 60's so it is probably suspect. Why touch the meter? Coming into my house I have a main switch that shuts the power off to the dual 100 amp fuses in the box feeding the breaker panel. Everything is dead from that box inwards.... That main fuse/ switch panel is after the meter....

In the US the rules say you need to have it inspected.

I have no intention of reporting you. If you know how to do it and do it safely, go for it.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

I have exactly the same set-up but 220/40 A. Hot tub Co claimed the no power to their heater was the fault of the breaker. My electrician dropped off a spare. The original popped free easily when I twisted it 'out' .

Put in the other, it wouldn t work either. It turned out to be a fault in the Heater coil

Did on mine (both)

Reply to
Rudy

I could/did remove the entire face plate of the panel, just leaving the breakers in place. Perhaps its "hung" on the panel face. At any rate, you'll get a better 'look' at it after you take it off.

Use normal safety measures

Reply to
Rudy

The ones in Canada are still being sold/installed.

Up there (FPE) stablok system was acquired by Schneider. Some batch numbers were recalled ..most not. They are (redesigned?) and are being installed in large numbers in new homes without any problems.

and

Rudy