re-use plastic wrapping straps after cutting them off

You buy containers wrapped in those 5 foot long half inch wide plastic wrapping straps and you cut off the straps with scissors.

Then you throw away the straps because you can't reheat them to seal them for something else.

Or can you?

Is there anything we already have at home that will heat those straps together when they're pulled tightly around another box?

Do any of you re-use those tightly wrapped plastic packing straps for anything?

Reply to
RonTheGuy

Almost first hit on a google search for "plastic binding + strap" :

John T.

Reply to
hubops

I save all that stuff. If you mean platic "ties", I learned early to cut them off at the right spot so they were still almost as long as when new.

Reply to
micky

[snip]

I haven't seen one in over a decade, partially because they're almost never used anymore, and partly 'cuz I'm not in that type of work these days, but we _loved_ the similar metal straps...

Those were just the right type of steel and thickness to cut into "slim jims" for opening many locked cars...

Reply to
danny burstein

He means this type of strapping:

And then what do you do with them?

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Oh. I don't think I've seen this exact thing. If he didn't mean one of those nylon ratchety wire ties,

I misunderstood.

I later thought he meant the ones that take a metal clamp. But the ones in the link are easy to sew, and flexible, not stiff. They sound great.

I save them! Every once in a while I use one. I used one to make a handle for a car battery charger that was mising one, and it broke after several years, so I'll get to use another. One I used to snake a wire for the vanity mirror light (when I got new sunvisors) through the top rail of the windshield. That worked great. I try to save a little of everything and late at night, I usually have whatever I need.

Reply to
micky

These things would let you reuse the straps.

OR
These work too.
OR

Dean Hoffman

This video may give hints:

Probably not enough usage for you to buy the tools but maybe if you could buy the clips and use pliers to crimp it might be worth while.

I have seen these straps made and they are stretched and oriented like man made fibers to increase strength and stiffness. Heat sealing would probably disorient the plastic and weaken it.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Why go through the trouble of creating a tinyurl when shortening the original link is easier? Retains the name of the item too.

Anything after the ASIN (Amazon Standard Identification Number) isn't needed when sharing an Amazon link.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

And yet it's done all the time. I'll wager that there is more heat sealed plastic strapping than mechanically clipped. At least that's my experience and has been for many years.

One step operation, no extra parts or tools needed and you get a flatter end product.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

No scissors required.

1 - Find the seam 2 - Look underneath for the unsecured tab 3 - Grasp the tab and pull it away from the strap

Marilyn Manson

Don't tell my guys in shipping. Used similar at work thousands of times.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Doh ! I wondered why folks were posting so many other links after mine - mine only linked to the google search instead of the actual video clip ...

The little metal clips in this video would seem to be an effective and cheap way to re-use the strapping ? John T.

Reply to
hubops

Here you go...

Not that I know of.

Not me.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Assuming you don't need to pull them tight...or have another way to do that and also crimp the clip. Are the dedicated tools that are shown required? Maybe not, but they were designed with those purposes in mind.

Here's one for $180...no clue if it's any good or not.

One question that I haven't seen asked yet:

What is the OP doing that he wants/needs to reuse the straps? Shipping stuff? Storing stuff? Just curious.

I've received packages that have been wrapped with the straps. Not sure I've ever had a need to reuse them, especially since they have been cut to a specific length. Any further use could only be with a shorter length (since they need to be overlapped to secure) or would require more than one clip to attach multiple pieces together. Of course, using the tool above would make it easier to link multiple pieces. I guess if you are reusing them often enough, $180 might be worth it.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Here is that "exact thing", in use:

Snow tires & wheels from TireRack.

BTW...That's an older picture (2015) but TireRack still packages their wheel and tire sets exactly like that.

3 weeks ago I ordered a set of snow tires and wheels from TireRack. I placed the order over the phone and was told that the order would ship from a TireRack distribution center that is about 400 miles from my house. Less than 25 hours after I placed the order, the tire and wheels were delivered to my front door. The tires were mounted on the wheels and balanced, ready for me to bolt onto the vehicle. That's better than Amazon Prime since I'm pretty sure that Amazon workers don't mount and balance tires. ;-)

...snip...

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

I went and re-watched the video - didn't see any tools .. It seems to pull nice & tight by hand.. The only thing he does "wrong" is fold/crease the long end that he subsequently pulls through. John T.

Reply to
hubops

There have been a couple of videos related to the metal clips, I guess. The one I watched used one tool for tightening and one tool crimping the clip. I'll check yours out when I get a chance.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

No doubt there are lots of commercial/industrial variations but the OP was talking about re-using the poly strapping - this video makes it appear that a ten-cent clip would work - which works-for-me. John T.

Reply to
hubops

...and the tools in this video don't preclude reusing the poly strapping, just like the clips could be used in commercial/industrial applications.

I guess it depends on how often you plan to perform the strapping operation and the physical capabilities of the user. I'm sure I could pull the straps tighter than SWMBO but the tool would even out the score and give a more consistent end result. Yes, at a higher cost.

Personally, I like the single tool heat bonding method. Well, personally, I don't think I've ever had the need (or desire) to reuse the straps. ;-)

Marilyn Manson