Re-"coating" engineered flooring

There is a very high traffic spot at the bottom of a set of carpeted stairs where they meet a pseudo-hardwood (engineered) floor. I don't know which manufacturer, but it was installed as new construction, so I doubt that it is "top shelf" brand.

The problem isn't really human traffic, it's cats. The three of them fly down the stairs, and to make the turn without wiping out they seem to have trained themselves to "deploy full claws". (Kitty version of air brakes, I guess.)

The places on the floor where this is the most prevalent (within less than a square foot), simply looks like it's been nicked or scratched and that begs my question.

A small runner rug would cover this up just fine, but I'd like to know if there's anything that can be used as a top coat on these types of floors? It seems like some kind of polyurathane or something similar could be sprayed on if the small area was masked off well and the "spray-or" was very careful.

Suggestions appreciated except any that malign the cats .

TIA-trebor

Reply to
trebor4258