Range Hood - Dual Fan better than Single?

I'm in the market for a new range hook to replace the broken one. The current one is a single fan 60cm x 50cm (recirculate type, i.e. non-ducted) fitted under the cupboard, naturally the replacement will be the same size or else it won't fit.

I'm thinking of getting a dual fan model this time, but unsure if it will make a huge difference considering there's no duct. On average, the dual fan ones cost 50% more than the singles, is it worth to go for a dual?

I'm also wondering if the range hook can be repaired. I can hear some buzzing sound when I switch it on, but the fan isn't spinning. Perhaps the motor is gone due to too much grease got into the fan (I can still push it but it won't start). It's around 5 years old, maybe that's the life span?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Reply to
p19010101

Contact the manufacturer and find out if parts are still available. If they are, and you can do the work yourself, it may be much cheaper than a new fan. If you politely say that it seems strange for the thing to fail after just 5 years, you might end up getting a little special treatment.

The reason for saving money on the repair is simple: Non-ducted hoods have little or no value, except for directing steam away from the cabinets, which may suffer over the years from the moisture.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

The non-ducted hoods do more than just redirect steam, the metal mesh "filter" is intended to collect vaporized grease which will otherwise end up adhered to your cabinets.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.