Rabbit Rifle Info needed

Some years ago, my father's friend Vic got tired of the squirrel in his feeder. As, I remember Dad telling the story. Vic used to be a machinist. He is a vetran of world war II. He died, some years ago. So, Vic's answer was to get his .22 rifle, and shoot the squirrel. Another squirrel came along, and also met his death. Vic gave up, after the 300th squirrel.

Folks will suggest various air, spring, or rimfire guns. Many people will have excellent ideas. To those, I wish to add the suggestion of trying to find a use for a continuing stream of dead rabbits. For, there will not be just one or two. Perhaps you can add "mystery meat" to the casseroles you give to widows and orphans? Perhaps you can clean them, and sell the pelts to companys that sell rabbits feet for luck charms, or makes blankets?

It may be a bit less noisy outdoors, if you keep the muzzle a foot or so inside the house when you squeeze em off. Telescope sight. Bench rest. Some internet research. Maybe brain shots. Set up a target in the garden, and adjust your scope. Since the range will be essentially the same each time, from the window to the garden.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Then a .22 is most likely illegal to fire in your yard. An air rifle may also be, depending on what city. In some places rabbits are considered pests and you can kill them at will and in others you may need a hunting license. A little research is probably in order.

Reply to
Larry Fishel

With all the talk of air guns and firearms, did you ever consider an electric fence? Zap the cute cuddly little fuzzy bunnies! Fry them till their eyes pop out! Burn em, burn em, burn em! Kill one and put its head on a little pike to scare off all the other bunnies. Perhaps crucify one of them in front of the other bunnies as a warning.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Your words of endorsement caused me to visit walmart.com. I didn't find Storm X, but several pellet rifles in the $100+ range ... all undoubtedly made by the Great Wall Air Rifle And Sneaker Company.

Some are described as "repeaters" and then in the details its says "single shot". These are break-barrel guns. They're new enough to not have user reviews yet. Would you guess that the "repeater" is just an ad error, or means what?

Bryce

Reply to
Bryce

-snip-

That sucks-- But Cabelas is selling the Quest for $120 now- so Walmart must have struck a deal with Gamo.

Actually Gamo has a pretty good reputation. I'd certainly look into them for some reviews online before I wrote them off. There are a few airgun forums that I visited years ago--

Here's one devoted to gamo-
just a little looking around there indicates that Gamo *is* Crosman, now]

and an airgun usenet group- alt.sport.air-guns.

I'd vote for an ad error-- after all it is Walmart. I did have a multi pump gun that I would call a repeater. It held 100 BBbs or so, and you had to turn it upside down to feed a BB. For pellets there was a little 5shot clip that you slid along to feed each pellet. I don't see how that would work on a break-barrel gun-- but I'm not an engineer, either.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I have a Diana (RWS) model 34, and it's hell on wabbits. I wish I had bought one in .22 instead of a .177, because it usually doesn't kill them as quickly and humanely as I'd like. I probably need to try some hollow-point pellets (like Beeman Crow-Magnums) so they'll do more damage instead of punching a little hole all the way thru the beast.

Anyway, it's a single-cocker; breaks open like a single-shot shotgun. Pull the barrel *all* the way down to c*ck the spring and set the trigger. Much more powerful than a pump-up, like a Benjamin or Sheridan. (I have one of those too that I bought 40 years ago)

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Yes. I had 'prison cat' that I adopted. The first rabbit near my garden was shot dead, skinned and grilled. "Jessie" got the pelt.

After that, she was a rabbit hunter. She went into dens, ate every bunny she could find...leaving only the kidney as a present.

One shot, one kill with .177 air rifle.

Reply to
Oren

Your neighbors will not be alarmed at a .22 discharge. Studies show that a single shot generates a WTF? moment, then people go back to peeling carrots or whatever. Multiple shots do, however, result in official responses.

Reply to
HeyBub

Be careful. In some metropolitan areas, there are sound towers that can triangulate gunfire. Response is automatic. I know there are several in the LA area. One shot here and there might not bring immediate response, but it could create a pattern they might investigate. I'd get a good pellet gun.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I can believe that. Do you have a URL to that research?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Steve B" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.infowest.com:

another option; he could buy a .22,and go through the NFA process to buy a suppressor and have it fitted to his rifle/handgun. (AKA "silencer")

fingerprints,background check,$200 tax,and OK from local LEO....IF your state permits them. ....and random inspections from ATF.(F-Troop)

A good PreChargedPneumatic(PCP) 9mm air rifle would end up being less costly. 8-)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Ive gotten away with using .22 CB & BB caps

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Suppressors are over-rated. The noise from a gun firing comes from two places: The powder detonation and the sonic-boom.

You simply cannot suppress the powder explosion from a revolver - too many leaks. Likewise, it's difficult to do so from an automatic pistol because the barrel is very short.

As to the sonic boom, the only fix for that is sub-sonic ammunition. About the only common handgun round that is sub-sonic is the .45 APC (850fps).

Reply to
HeyBub

Good point. The authorities knock on your door and say "We've triangulated gunshots coming from your property."

You say: "And..."

They say: "Have you been firing a weapon?"

And you say (pick one):

  • "You'll never take me alive, John Law!"
  • "No"
  • "I'm glad you're here. I've been pulling on my penis for several hours now and I think I've broken it. Could you take a look and see if it's all right?"
  • "Do you think the U.S. will ever go metric? LOOK! A SQUIRREL!"
  • "You mean you're not here about the kids on my lawn?!"
Reply to
HeyBub

Hey, they're selling freeze dried rabbit ears as doggie treats now.

Reply to
KC

You can make .22s very quiet and there is plenty of match grade ammo that is sub sonic. They also load subsonic 9mm. I know a guy will a suppressed 10-22 Norrell conversion that just boggles the mind when it shoots. All you hear is the bolt operating and an air sound similar to an impact wrench pulling down on a nut but the .22 slugs tearing up the target at round 1000 RPM will get your attention.

Reply to
gfretwell

It is Duck season!

Reply to
shortT

The supressors may be over rated. The revolvers will leak too much gas to be surpressed to a very low level.

Modern powder does not detonate, it burns very fast, around 6000 fps or so. The supressor asorbs the expanding gas and lets it out slow.The length of the barrel has nothing to do with it.

There are plenty of common handgun ammunition that has a velocity of less than the speed of sound. The 9mm with 147 gr bullets is one. The 40 S&W is about as common as you can get now, 180 gr going 950 fps. The 380 another. Just about all common hand guns except the magnums will have a velocity of under 1100 fps, especially with the higher weight bullets.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

In Florida the safe answer is "I threw a firecracker at a bird or whatever, that was damaging my garden" That is one of the few legal ways to shoot firecrackers in this state but you can also shoot 2" mortars as long as you are just scaring animals. Last night about midnight they must have had an infestation to rival the biblical plague of locusts because all manner of pyrotechnics were being fired.

This does bring up an interesting point. When they institute the gunshot locator in Ft Myers, as they have planned, will we be rolling cops every time some kid is "scaring birds"? We do have about a dozen permanent fireworks stores and tents on every corner in December and June/July. Fireworks are a constant thing.

Reply to
gfretwell

Heard today that a 4 year old child was killed at church New Year's Eve by a falling bullet in Decatur, Ga. I have seen this discussion before with people wailing that it is impossible. This impossible bullet penetrated both the roof and the boy's skull.

Las Vegas is notorious for New Year's Eve gunfire.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B