Rabbit Rifle Info needed

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in news:I6Wdnfr10N1fL6PWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

there's one revolver that moves the cylinder against the frame and seals the gap,it was designed to accept a suppressor. Nagant,IIRC.

suppressors don't make gunshots noiseless,but they reduce the noise to the point it's not recognized as a gunshot unless you're very close to the shooter. But the bullet velocity has to be subsonic. .22 short or CB rounds.

I've read of long-barrelled .22 rilfes(24"?) using .22CB rounds being very quiet.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"Steve B" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.infowest.com:

Chicago,too.

Had one a few years ago in Orlando,guy fired an AK-47 into the air,nailed a man couple of miles away,a chest hit.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Dan Wesson makes a line of revolvers with an adjustable cylinder/barrel gap that does fairly well with a suppressor.

Reply to
gfretwell

Don't forget the Russian Nagant revolver. (no cylinder gap, and the front of the cartridge forms a gasket with the right ammo)

I've got one; it's so ugly it's cute. :-)

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

-snip-

I've searched today and in the past. I haven't seen any credible evidence that a *falling* bullet is likely to kill anyone.

Mythbusters has visited the falling bullet theory a couple times. Both times they determined that there is very little umph left in a falling bullet.

I did find this interesting page- In 1920 the Army determined that a 150 gr. bullet shot straight up came down blunt end first and only had 30 foot-pounds of energy. It made a 1/16" dent in softwood. "They fired .30 caliber, 150 gr., Spitzer point bullets, at a velocity of 2,700 f.p.s. Using the bullet ballistic coefficient and elapsed time from firing until the bullet struck the water, they calculated that the bullet traveled 9,000 feet in 18 seconds and fell to earth in

31 seconds for a total time of 49 seconds."
It would take *some* falling bullet to penetrate a roof- then kill even a child.

I don't doubt that people die every day from *stray* bullets-- but there is a world of difference between stray and falling.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

A few years back, a series of drought years brought the squirrels out of the woods and onto our bird feeder. I put out two Have-A-Heart traps and it was a rare day when I didn't catch a pair. I'd drive them across the river on the way to work the next morning and drop them off in a deserted area. I kept track of this activity and after transporting 70+ squirrels, I'd had enough. The next Saturday morning, I saw a squirrel in the yard and dropped him with the 20 gauge. That afternoon, I shot another. After that, we didn't see a squirrel for months.

I guess word gets around in the squirrel community. At first, they knew they could get a good meal at my place, followed by a fun ride across the river. Then they heard it was dangerous out there and stuck to the woods.

We live out in a semi-rural area. If we hear a shot nearby, we figure one of the neighbors had good cause to shoot something and is skilled enough that we don't have to worry about stray shots.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

Andy comments;

I use a Crossman with a 4X scope on it. It shoots at 1200 feet per second and I use it with good effect on both squirrels (tree rats) and rabbits (ground rats).

You can get a look at air rifles of this type by googling "high power air rifles"

Gamo currently has one for around $130 including the scopy, and you DO want the scope, since you only have one shot at a time and need to make it count.

Good luck, I have felt your pain and my situation has been dealt with successfully....

Also, you can google "rabbit recipes" and "squirrel recipes" and there are hundreds, tho I would recommend stewing the victim until the meat falls off (about 1 hour at just boiling) and throwing in some potatoes and carrots, then garlic/salt/black pepper... or whatever.....

Be careful when cleaning the rabbit. You need to be on the lookout for tuleremia (rabbit fever) and that is done by checking the liver. It can all be googled. Lots of stuff....

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Eureka, site of the best Korean Barbeque Restaurant in Texas, located on the main highway beside the animal shelter......

Reply to
Andy

Sure it wasn't the same couple of squirrels, over and over? Mice, you have to take at least a mile. Racoon, several miles. (Buddy of mine at work got curious, and painted the tails of the ones he caught before he took them 2-3 miles. Back within 48 hours. He said the hell with being nice, and shot them.) I imagine squirrels fall someplace in the middle.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Angels can fly, and thus dodge the bullets.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon
[snip]

You left out the other part. While the vertical velocity (falling) is too small, it's nearly impossible to fire a gun straight up (0 horizontal velocity). People can still be shot be those bullets.

[snip]
Reply to
Sam E

Here's the Mythbuster's take on the subject:

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Perhaps you should have just googled "falling bullet kills". Where did you look? In your garage?

Ahhhh. True scientists and forensic experts. Not to mention both are on medical marijuana.

Ninety year old science?

Small children have very very very very very soft bones in their heads. Did I say they have soft bones in their heads, particularly on top where it takes decades to completely grow thicker and toughen?

Not if you're the dead person. They don't wonder a lot at all.

Well, then, I guess that ends the matter. You have spoken. We can throw out all the facts, anecdotal evidence, and files on people killed from falling bullets.

But, I would say that several stories where the bullet came through the roof, then entered the person establishes a trajectory. But then, I am nowhere as smart as you, as you can examine evidence thousands of miles away, and determine forensics without ever being at the site.

You may and will continue to believe whatever you want. As for me, I shall read the reports from time to time on deaths caused from falling bullets.

And as for Mythbusters ................... They should get hold of the police agencies and point out the errors of their investigations and get the REAL perpetrators. We all know that if it is on TV or on the radio or in the papers, it HAS to be true.

Have you heard the latest rumor? The earth is round!

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I am making a 55 gallon trap. It is a plastic barrel with a trap door on top that they activate by pushing a release. They then drown in the barrel, and a small spring returns the door to ready position. I have used the soda can on a string over a barrel of water, and it works quite well. With this, they won't be able to see the dead ones, and may be less cautious. Our rock squirrels in Utah are very wary.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

You ever heard the term 'sweeping the beach'?

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

"Steve B" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.infowest.com:

the discrepancy here is that this guy is talking about bullets falling straight down,no horizontal velocity. NOT a real-life situation.

NONE of the people killed by "falling" bullets were from bullets falling straight down,but down in ballistic arcs,where the bullet still had horizontal velocity adding to it's kinetic energy.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"Steve B" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.infowest.com:

heh,reminds me of this video I saw on TV that an English couple shot;they had a squirrel/bird feeder problem,and begin engineering more difficult-to- access bird feeders,and taped the squirrels defeating them,and it was amazing what the rodents could get past. it was literally squirrels running obstacle courses. VERY entertaining.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Yabbut .......

In our part of the country, the squirrels are special.

There are few trees big enough for them to nest in. The ones who do nest there don't last for long. They live in burrows. I have a small canyon next to my house. Other than that, there is very little habitat for them, and a lot of coyotes, their main predator. If we hit the populations in the canyon early and often, we can limit the number greatly because they will not pass over great distances of bare ground to expose themselves. We do have new ones from year to year, but no great population explosions.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

You got me there. If it was falling straight down, it would go back into the gun's barrel.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I have seen some of the English competitions, and it took some of the squirrels weeks to figure out and master the course.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I watched a guy shoot rabbits at an elementary school in a housing neighborhood.

He used a long barrel .22 rifle and .22 short ammunition. Nobody noticed. He shot 20 or so in an afternoon.

In my neighborhood that would be illegal AND you'd get caught. An airgun is a bit questionable for legality but with some care I don't think you'd get caught. You don't want a lot of power - the larger ones are as loud as a .22 RF. You do want very careful shot placement. That means knowing your range and trajectory very well. Pellets don't shoot anywhere near as flat as a .22, and aren't as forgiving with small placement errors.

But if you really want to see a guy who knows what he's doing, check out this article in the European Stars & Stripes.

This guy shoots 100 in a night!

Reply to
TimR