R-value of a basic garage door?

I looked everywhere on Google, and all I can find is the R-value of insulated garage doors (which I didn't even know existed!). What is the R-value of a traditional garage door, made of a simple sheet of steel?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

It would be roughly the same as sheet steel, very poor. Glass, single pane is .9 aluminum siding is .61 with no insulation. Plain steel is little more than a windbreak. You can glue on foam board though.

This shows steel siding

Ed Pawlowski

Our garage door is double-wall with Styrofoam between, but I don't recall what the claimed R-value is. I don't think I've seen uninsulated garage doors for a long time.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Easy to find them on Google (I found them while trying to find what mine was), on sites for manufacturers trying to sell you them, they range from 6 to 18.

I've seen plastic garage doors on new houses, but never examined how thick they are. I assumed they were just cheaper than steel ones. I thought I was unusual in having a heated garage, so nobody bothered insulating them. My house was built in 1979, as was my next door neighbour's. Both have non-insulated garage doors. I guess you live in a newer house.

Do they also build garages with cavity walls now? Mine is just single brick (or it was until I modified it), and my neighbour's is 1 inch thick concrete panels!

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I've removed it and built a brick wall with a double glazed window, and am installing polystyrene sheet insulation before wood cladding inside. No, the car doesn't live in there :-)

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I think the R value of my old steel Stanley garage door is about -1.

Reply to
clare

Impossible. That's like having a resistor of -1 ohms. That would be a battery. Or in the case of a garage door, it's sucking heat out of the garage - what you've got there is a fridge that uses no electricity. Patent it immediately!

Reply to
Mr Macaw

My bilevel home with built in 2 car garage was built in 1988. It came with thin, uninsulated wood garage doors. Each door panel was less than 1/4 inch thick. I paid extra to have the garage walls insulated, otherwise the builder would have only insulated the ceiling, which doubles as the bedroom floor.

I replaced the doors with r19 metal/foam sandwich units with double pain windows. It makes a significant positive difference during both heating and cooling seasons.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Stone

Check the websites of some of the major garage door manufactures (e.g., Clopay) or a local garage door dealer/installer. If you call them, they could probably tell you.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Clopay do make the old non-insulated doors (first company I've seen that does), but they don't quote R for them (maybe it would be embarrassing, and not important to someone not buying an insulated door anyway), they just quote R for the insulated ones: "Insulated door R-values from 6.3 to 18.4."

Mind you, it would be a good selling point for their insulated doors if they quoted a heat loss of 1000 times less than a steel door.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

On 04/04/2016 8:14 AM, Mr Macaw wrote: ...

Well there are still fully-detached garages for which it really doesn't matter...have three here on the farm place. The double car garage uses the lightweight fiberglass from Raynor I think; the old truck garage that serves as a shop now has wood.

Reply to
dpb

My garage is attached ot the house, but I don't see the need for an insulated door as I don't use the garage for anything but to put the cars in. The walls around the garage that meet the house are insulated.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Well, the advantage there would depend entirely on the details of the construction but it would in many traditional constructions still be of benefit by reducing the loss on the various dividing wall(s), floor/ceilings, etc. as often the amount of insulation is far less than optimum. Of course, the severity of the climate matters as well as far as what would be a payback period...

Reply to
dpb

You'd be better spending that time and effort insulating the wall between the house and the garage more.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

On 04/04/2016 9:36 AM, Mr Macaw wrote: ...

Again, that'd depend on the details of the construction...

Reply to
dpb

I assume you mean if it's difficult to insulate the house wall?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Of course...what I said in the beginning.

Reply to
dpb

Insulating the garage side of the wall between the two should be easy enough surely? And would have far more effect than letting the heat into the garage then trying to insulate that.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Take it or leave it; I'm not inclined to argue the point.

Reply to
dpb

What you mean to say is you have no basis for your opinion.

Reply to
Mr Macaw