Questions about expanding foam insulation

I made a hole in the side of my house to install a dryer vent. I want to seal around it with the spray expanding foam insulation. Looking at the Great Stuff brand, I can either buy stuff that cures rigid or flexible. Here are links for both (rigid first):

Which one would be better? And it says on the can that it is designed for one use, rather than using it a bit and saving it for a future use, because the dispenser gets filled and cures. Is there any way to save it for a future use?

thanks in advance, John

Reply to
Big Daddy

Unless you need the softer stuff, like around windows to prevent jamming, I prefer the rigid foam. It is much easier to trim after hardening for a neat fit.

The original multi-page instructions that used to come with Great Stuff (along with a pair of disposable gloves) had this tip:

Remove the tube and nozzle/trigger. Moisten a toothpick and place one in each opening where the foam was: One in the can itself, one in each end of the nozzle/trigger and one in each end of the tube. When the foam hardens, it will stick to the wooden toothpicks and pull out easily. It works quite well. I prefer flat toothpicks, with the big end stuffed into the holes.

You can also squirt acetone in each place to clean the foam while it is still wet.

Reply to
DT

I just hold the can right side up and give a couple blasts of air. Wait a few minutes and do it again as the foam swells. Sometimes 3 or 5 times. It blows the tubes clear. Next time it works fine.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

I used the rigid stuff on my dryer vent too.It came out good Just make sure you use a little, it will go a long way and expand. As far as the dispenser, I usually just use drinking straws on the can, then throw them away. They fit snug on top of the can.

Reply to
Mike rock

Thanks, everyone, for your advice.

Reply to
Big Daddy

Hey, there is a company now that sells spare nozzle packs that work with great stuff and other brands, they are > I made a hole in the side of my house to install a dryer vent. I want

Reply to
stockthomas