Expanding foam Q

Has anyone ever found a successful way of keeping a part used can of this stuff and having it actually work? I never use a full can, and the remaining half/twothirds is always dead as a doornail when I come to use it. And I carefully clean out the remaining foam and cover the "works" with clingfilm...

Irony; I bought some "fire rated" expanding foam to fire-stop the ceiling of my integral garage where various cables come through it. The foam is marked "Highly Inflammable". (Yes, I realise that's probably the propellant or the foam monomer, rather than the the cured foam. I still thought it was amusing.)

Reply to
Huge

I've tried it a few times and have managed it with about 50% success by dismantling the valve and flushing every thing with acetone including putting a little a few flushed of the exposed valve on the top of the can.

Reply to
1501

Only by buying a professional gun. The aerosol cans are one-shot for me too. With a prof gun, and a can of cleaner, never had a problem. In fact even without the cleaner, I've left the can on the gun for three months and it still worked. This is mine:

TheOldFellow

I've tried it a few times and have managed it with about 50% success by dismantling the valve and flushing every thing with acetone including a few flushes of the exposed valve on the top of the can.

Reply to
1501

With gun type cartidges, ali foil has a much better success rate than clingfilm.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

larger canoes you might need this

Andy Burns

20 quid buys a lot of foam.

But then it does come with nipple protectors. But doesn't everybody wear old clothes when handling this stuff? :o)

Reply to
Huge

Until you've used one, you'll never understand the difference. You can stop halfway through a job, go out for a beer or ten, come back when the hangover has dimmed, and just carry on. None of that cleaning the little plastic trigger etc..

I never used the nipple guards though.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Oddly, I heard a trick elsewhere yesterday. Wash the whole nozzle affair with acetone after use.

Passed on with no guarantee that it works.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Next question; where can one buy acetone? :o)

Reply to
Huge

If you can't get acetone then buy gun cleaner but as someone else said the best way is to buy a gun from Screwfix and a can of cleaner and you'll have no trouble .

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

You'll almost certainly pay more for acetone than expanding foam, so just chuck the part-used can of foam away...

:-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Yeah, I already discovered that. GBP2.95 for 1 litre, and GBP7.99 postage and packing. I imagine car paint shops might sell it. I'll ask the next time I'm passing my local friendly bodyshop.

Reply to
Huge

Any fiberglass supplier. This is mine

The Natural Philosopher

£4 for 500ml? is that so expensive?
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Isnt it bad to use expanding foam to fill electric cable holes, doesnt it leach the plastic around the wires dangerously?

Shouldnt we use normal caulk for electric wires holes?

surely there's some draughts in the garage or somewhere you can use the rest of the foam up at?

[g]
Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

I bought a can from Wickes last week & it said on the label "ideal for filling electric cable holes" or words to that effect. IOW it was reccommended for the job, so I guess it must be fine.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

or not ... If your name's Peter Parry

but that's another story

Reply to
geoff

Use the "gun grade" stuff and leave it on the gun. (if you take it off you can still get the same problem with the cane seeping)

Reply to
John Rumm

For this application, cellulose thinners works fine. Costs around =A311 for 5 litres at a good local car spares shop.

CRB

Reply to
crb