Questions about choosing the right clutch kit from Marlin Crawler

The big question is why are you sourcing general purpose street machine parts from a performance rock crawler company????? The parts they sel lare aimed at the extreme offroad market - NOT general purpose street machines. Buy an OEM part from your local dealer or parts jobber like Napa or whoever. You do not need or want competition parts - they are not necessarily better parts for your application, and most likely worse.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

PUT AN OEM CLUTCH IN THE DAMNED THING AND BE DONE WITH IT!!!

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Seems like RS Wood in another guise.

Reply to
Xeno

"Scott Dorsey"

You want to tool around on the streets, don't buy racing products. --scott

Just remembered this saying from years ago..:

Jack be nimble, Jack be quick! Beat that hydro with your stick! On your car our bets ride! Lose this race and its your hide!

Reply to
Phil Kangas

He who is Clare Snyder said on Wed, 15 Nov 2017 20:18:57 -0500:

Makes sense. I didn't know what I know now when I asked.

At this point, the right clutch kit is an Aisin 900 foot pound kit.

The 5-piece Aisin OEM kit is here for $170 (TDT-C-95-04-2.7)

The best prices I can find at a Toyota dealer online is $225 sans the alignment tool: Required:

312503540084 - DISC $73.03 312103520084 - PRESSURE PLATE $93.21 903631200277 - PILOT BEARING $6.34 3123035091 - RELEASE BEARING $51.72

Optional:

1340575040 - FLYWHEEL $356.37 3120420071 - RELEASE FORK $26.72 1345320010 - RING GEAR $111.04
Reply to
harry newton

He who is Clare Snyder said on Wed, 15 Nov 2017 20:17:11 -0500:

This is good advice.

I want the BEST parts, which is why I was LOOKING at Marlin Crawler, but I didn't know, until now, that they're just for specialty stuff.

You'll notice I use "good" quality stuff so that's all I had wanted.

I agree with you. Marlin Crawler is the wrong place to go. Now the question is what's a good clutch.

The OEM is Aisin 900 pounds. Googling, I find plenty of substitutes. I can pick - but I don't know how to pick a clutch kit?

What do I look for? a. Steel springs? b. Friction material? c. What?

Reply to
harry newton

He who is Scott Dorsey said on 15 Nov 2017 17:40:20 -0500:

OK. That makes sense in racing, where a split second clutch engagement is meaningful. So if it's speed of engagement, I'm ok with that as a benefit.

But it's not needed on the road - so why couldn't Marlin Crawler just say so when I asked?

No no no. What I meant is that for an engine that is already designed to use 87AKI (or whatever the anti-knock index is in your country), using

92AKI isn't going to do anything if the engine is running to spec.

It's just a waste of money. Just like this 1200 pound pressure plate seems to be.

Thanks. What I like about that answer is that it follows logic. I love logic.

I don't know Marlin Crawler stuff at all, so I don't automatically associate them with racing. I just associate them with Toyota aftermarket.

Reply to
harry newton

He who is harry newton said on Thu, 16 Nov 2017 06:14:50 +0000 (UTC):

I think I'll go for this

Reply to
harry newton

He who is harry newton said on Tue, 14 Nov 2017 00:36:19 +0000 (UTC):

SOLVED.

Q: What's the difference between 1200# & 900# pressure plate? A: Nothing practical. 1200 engages faster for racing purposes.

Q: Do you bother replacing pressure plate bolts? A: Nope. Just loc-tite red.

Q: What about the flywheel? A: Just have it machined if it's scored. Otherwise keep it.

Q: What's a good kit to get for an on-road Toyota? A: Not the $300 Aisin Marlin Crawler kit. A: Maybe the $170 Aisin lowrangeoffroad kit is better? A: OEM costs about twice that at the best dealer (and no alignment tool).

Reply to
harry newton

Clare Snyder posted for all of us...

+1 and gaining
Reply to
Tekkie®

Clare Snyder posted for all of us...

Still gaining

Reply to
Tekkie®

Xeno posted for all of us...

I think this is the valve stem thread poster under a different nym.

Reply to
Tekkie®