Question on water flow through brass valve

Got a question on water flow through brass valve. Last house I lived in I had to redo the kitchen plumbing and used all cvpc. I was unhappy with the flow through the cpvc valves.

So on this house, same project, water supplies are half inch cvpc but instead of a cvpc valve I put in a brass B&K half inch stop valve. Model 105-003, says it's for use w/ water, oil, or air.

My flow through this was exactly one gallon per minute, hot or cold, with the aerator off of course. This morning I was getting pretty ticked about this so checked the valves and saw that they had several more twists to make them fully open. I opened them all the way, and

*still* I get one gallon a minute.

Water pressure in all the pre-existing plumbing is fine, better than I'm used to in other houses actually. The litchen supply is new all the way back to a manifold I crafted.

Am I missing some key thing about valves ? Has anyone run into this before and what valve did you use to get decent flow.

Reply to
Roger D

Rog: cant see it from here but you keep mixing flow rate (gpm) and pressure. Are you on a pump or municipal water?

I would never use CPVC especially 1/2" due to problems with glue bridging for my domestic water system. But then again I can solder and measure and know what fixture units are.

You could try using full port ball valves not plastic, brass with screw connections and more CPVC adapters ...and no you cannot find full port ball valves at Home Cheapo or Blows.

Your 1/2" CPVC is equivalent to about 3/8" ID copper ...

Have fun Happy Daylight Savings Time

Vic Plank Lancaster PA

Reply to
POPPYPLANK

This is Turtle.

Like Vic said not all PVC valves are created equal. Home Cheap-0 does not sell them for they are more expencive. You need to get full flow valve.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Yep, 1/4 turn ball valves on everything. I replace any other type of vavle with one of those any time I have to do anything near one.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Thanks for the tip, folks.

Sorry about the gpm thing. I am on city water and I solder about as well as I sing.