Question on Craftsman Garden Tractor

I have a Craftsman lawn tractor, 24 hp, 48" deck, that is almost 3 yrs old (in a few days).

It has never had a problem until a couple of days ago, and I maintain it each offseason (change oil, oil filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, clean air filter, sharpen blades).

I have a 1-acre lot.

At this time of year, the grass is growing fast again, and on Friday I cut it after having cut it the prior Sunday (5 days). I have a bagger attachment and was using it for the entire yard.

Just as I was finishing, the tractor became sluggish, then conked out. It would restart but would quickly conk out again. I pushed it to the driveway, and found it would barely run if I kept the choke in full choke position, but would conk out as soon as I put the choke to the run position.

The grass bins were not close to full.

The next day, the tractor seems to run fine. I haven't put it through a full mow, but just ran it once around the entire property, and it seemed fine.

I had already scheduled a service call for this Thursday, as I have a 3-yr warranty. I don't want to cancel yet not knowing what the problem is. My warranty expires two days later, and I have the option to renew, but it's on the order of $300/yr, so a 3-yr extension would cost almost $900.

- What might have caused the engine to conk out as it did, but it seems fine now?

- Is it worth extending the warranty?

Reply to
Dimitrios Paskoudniakis

Dimitrios Paskoudniakis wrote: ...

Possibly some dirt or other contamination in the fuel that cleared or (much less likely, but can happen) a piece of debris across the plug resulting in weak spark.

I never buy extended warranties myself...

--

Reply to
dpb

I THINK YOUR PROBLEM IS THAT THE TRACTOR HAS A FUEL FILTER ATTATCHED TO THE FUEL LINE WHICH PROBLEY IS YOUR PROBLEN, DUE TO THE AMOUNT OF FOREIGN MATTER THAT IS IN THE GAS YOU BUY TODAY. Always filter the gas you put in the gas tank with a piece of cheese-cloth or a funnel with a built in filter. Forget the warrenty because you can always get someone to fix it for far less money than sears. Sorry for the capitals. Good luck henry

Reply to
henrypenta

henrypenta wrote: ...

I suppose you do this routinely in your automobiles, too?

_What_, specifically, makes you think there's "foreign matter" in gasoline today?

I'd agree it's possibly a fuel contamination issue, but I'd wager it was/is user-introduced if so...

--

Reply to
dpb

Gas cap vent, perhaps. If it does it again, try loosening the gas cap.

$900 seems pretty steep for an extended warranty. That's almost as much as a new mower.

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

Could be the fuel pump going on the fritz or the fuel filter flow getting slowed down or crap in the tank rolling around. It may have been temporary or a little water in the tank. (water tends to roll around in balls at the bottom of the tank)

Reply to
Blattus Slafaly

dpb wrote in news:gb8ij9$biq$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

lol. I'd like to see him/her answer that!

Reply to
Red Green

I replaced the gas filter < 6 months ago. They&#39;re good for only a few months?

Why is it running fine now, starting the day after it was not running fine?

Reply to
Dimitrios Paskoudniakis