Question about magnets

GOODBYE GEORGE!

PLONK

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

Ahh. The sound of a drip!

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Yes, because it is at hand everyday. If one doesn't know the general properties of a liquid and a gas, they are likely to have an accident when boiling water. The most basic information about states of matter and fundamental forces is useful at a personal level.

But, yeah, I forget my passwords too and since I don't expect any break-ins to steal my passwords, I write them down. As for not identifying the Atlantic ocean--the problem is mostly low IQ or a really poor education.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I seem to remember something about half the students at the University of Miami not being able to find Florida on a US map.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Florida and Ohio are states that matter to politicians.

The state of euphoria matters to me.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I thought the two that mattered to political aspirants were New Hampshire and Massachussets...

Not a state of contentment?

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

It sounds like you are trying to show people how smart you are. It would have been a great start actually answering the question. Who cares about Socratic blabber not even related to the question?

A nine year old asking a question "based on a fallacy"? For crying out loud - university is a long way from a nine year old. Did you possess your "states of matter" nugget when YOU were nine years old? Maybe not....

Reply to
glenn P

"glenn P" wrote in news:452dadc9$ snipped-for-privacy@news.rivernet.com.au:

Those are the ones who don't know shit. On the other hand, obvious cheapskates looking for free labor who ask me something related to house and building crap are promptly told I don't know nothin'. I just do a little painting, no trim though... too complicated, and tighten a door knoob here and there.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Electro-magnetism is but a subset of magnetism in general. Since he's discussing this with a 9-year old, he is almost certainly talking about non-electro-magnetism. That is, permanent magnets. If permanent magnets aren't subjected to heat or violence, their power won't run out in one lifetime. Horseshoe shaped magnets should be kept with their "keeper", the bar from one pole to the other.

So don't pat yourself on the back too much. You should have said magnetism, not electro-magnetism. (The latter probably didn't exist except during lightning strikes until the 19th century.)

You were pounded down, not because you seemed to exhibit some knowledge, but because you insulted a guy who had done nothing to deserve it, whose questions made total sense. Not that one should insult someone just because he doesn't make sense or does worse than that.

Reply to
mm

mm wrote: ((snipped))

Yeah I know it was harsh, too harsh to the OP, not to the others.

I'll be harsh again. Although I don't have great faith in wikipedia, you should look at the below before you post about electromagnetism:

George E. Cawthon