Question about condensation pump on central air unit

I came home last night and found a sizable puddle of water under the condensation pump on my central air unit. I heard the pump running, but it wasn't pumping. I checked the plastic tubing overhead (the water is set to drain into my utility tub) and found...instead of clear water...brownish water with tiny pieces of wood. A piece of wood was caught in a part of the tubing that was crimped too tight, so i uncrimped it which freed the clog and set the water flowing again. A check of the reservoir in the pump confirmed debris there too.

Does anyone have any idea why water from my condensation pump would go from being clear to having debris in it?

TIA!!!

Reply to
The Amazing Exploding Arab

Left over construction debris that finally got loose and was in the sump or could it have siphoned it in some how?

Reply to
Art Begun

This is Turtle.

You can get trash and rust from evaperator coil draining from it into the condensate pump and then get clogged up. Put you some clorox in it 2 times a year during the summer and keep it under control. About a cup will do.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Thanks Turtle. I had PSE&G come by (the local utility company) and they told me the same thing. We put some bleach in and the thing cleared up quickly. What a relief.

The kicker was that I just bought a house and I just listed mine for sale yesterday. So what happens yesterday? First the 30+ year old fridge dies, then this issue with the condenser pump. Well, at least ONE of the two didn't cost me $700!

Reply to
The Amazing Exploding Arab