Q: Can an electric box stick out the wall about half 0.4 inch?

Hello all,

I am about to install my security floodlight on the side wall of my home.

Is it to the code if I were to stick it out of the wall about 0.4 inch? (BTW, I live in San Jose California.)

Here are the details:

I drilled a hole to accommodate an electric box. The security floodlight will engage with it.

The security floodlight has a round part at the back that engages with the electric box. I can accomplish this engagement in two ways:

  • Install the electric box edge flush with the exterior wall.
  • Make the round hole a bit larger than the diameter of the box.
  • Insert the floodlight back through the wall until it fully engages with the electric box.

OR

  • Leave no gap between the box edge and the wall.
  • Stick the age of the box to about 0.4 inch out of the wall.
  • Mount the floodlight

Thanks!

PS: here are some photographs:

Artur Deguzman

One question would be if it will seal to keep water out. Is there some sort of gasket?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Reply to
Thomas

I've seen fixtures mounted where the entire box was outside the wall.

They probably were not outdoors.

I think the idea is that any sparks or fire that comes from the wires will be trapped in the box and not set fire to the house. If that is accounted for, I thought in or out was just a matter of appearance.

Reply to
micky

There is no gasket. The manufacturer advises using caulking/sealant.

Reply to
Artur Deguzman

My question is: What is the code? Can the box stick out of the wall a bit? One way or the other, I'll find a way to seal it.

Reply to
Artur Deguzman

Photos don't add much, no idea what those even are. I don't see a hole the size of an electrical round box. Why can't the box be flush? One of the old work boxes with swing out ears would work. AFAIK electrical code doesn't care about whether a box is flush or not, you can have boxes that are surface mount for that matter.

Reply to
trader_4

"AFAIK electrical code doesn't care about whether a box is flush or not, you can have boxes that are surface mount for that matter."

This answers my question!

Thanks

Reply to
Artur Deguzman

Just be sure to let your Electrical Inspector know that you got your advice from some unknown self-proclaimed expert on the internet ... .. he/she will be more lenient .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Isn't that what Clarence Thomas did about reporting gifts? Why should Artur have to meet a higher standard?

Reply to
micky

Michigan's dictator Governor Whitmer had the state under a covid lockdown while she accepted the use of some billionaire's private jet so she could vacation in the FREE state of Florida.

But that's ok because she's a WEF democrat.

Reply to
T'yon Williams