Putting in new outlets in the garage

I need more outlets in my garage so I'm installing a new breaker and wiring. All my existing wiring comes from the attic into the breaker box. What's my easiest option to get the new wire into the breaker box? The existing conduits are pretty full, they jammed all the wires they could in them and didn't leave much room for running new wire. The top of my breaker box is about three feet from the ceiling, I was thinking of just removing that piece of drywall and putting in new conduit and running the wire that way with an open wall, then replacing the drywall.

Any other suggestions other than spending a couple hours up in the attic hoping to to get the right bend on the new wire to get into an existing conduit (I've tried fishing the line with no luck).

Thanks

Reply to
mwright77

You should be able to only make a small hole in the wall right above the box to put in the connector that goes between the conduit and the box. Then push the conduit down from the attic, if the ceiling height is high enough to do that. Could you use BX from the box up to the attic and then switch to conduit with a junction box in the attic?

Reply to
hrhofmann

Unless it is a local requirement, you don't necessarily need conduit. You should be able to use Romex, BX, or MC cable directly into the circuit breaker box. MC cable is often used instead of EMT conduit. When you get your electrical permit from your building department ask if it is okay to use cable.

Reply to
John Grabowski