Putting a storage tank on my compressor?

I have a little 2gal Senco compressor. Needless to say, the 2gal is exhausted pretty fast, and it doesn't build very fast either.

I also have a 5gal Harbor Freight storage tank. I would like to take the pressure gauge off the storage tank and use that opening as an inlet from the compressor. The compressor gauge will show the pressure in the storage tank, so I really don't need the one on the storage tank; and the compressor won't go over 125psi, so there is no risk of over pressurizing the tank.

Yeah, I know it takes 5 minutes to pump up the storage tank, but once full I would have a fair amount of air; well, at least enough for my needs.

Is there anything inherently wrong with this scheme? I could pull the 1/4" inlet and connect there, but I don't see much need for the gauge.

There is no drain on the storage tank. Is that because all the moisture winds up in the compressor tank?

Reply to
Toller

That's a workable scheme. You may get some condensate carry-over; just tip the carry tank upside down and disconnect the line to drain once in a while. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

very workable, I did that obce years ago, with a small compressor using a pair of discarded propane cyclinders. later replaced by a lightweight compressor with better capacity. one with a rubber diaphram, they were brand new at the time

Reply to
hallerb

I did that until I got a larger compress and tank. I got a T and put a male quick connect on the middle and two females on the ends of the T. I already had a female quick connect on the compressor. I also had a female quick connect on the portable tank. I made a double male quick connect and could hook it up with any air hose.

Reply to
Jim Rusling

It will work. Whether or not it solves your problem is another matter. Storage is good, but once used up, the compressor capacity is the same as it was before adding storage. You have more volume available than you had, but if you deplete it, the recovery time is going to be longer. If the stored air fills your needs, it is a good solution.

Usually. Depends on temperature and humidity.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

it's also possible that the compressor head will overheat because of the extended run times necessary to charge both tanks.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer