Purex Triten DE pool filter crack repair.

The side of my tank developed two cracks. One was 2 inches in the top part of the tank the other was 7 inches in the bottom. Thinking a little outside the box, and not liking the prospect of buying a whole new device. Given that this cap and bucket are fiberglass I went and got a fiberglass patch kit specifically meant for cracks.

I patched both the inside and outside top and bottom crack. I let it dry for days. Then I put it back together. On test firing once the pressure built up I noticed popping like something was giving, and then water again along the bottom crack.

Any advise, thanks,

David

Reply to
quincy451

You would probably need to wrap the glass cloth completely around the filter case to provide enough strength to hold. Obviously, the adhesion of the patch by itself is not sufficient. The tank will expand as pressure builds putting tremendous force on the patch. If you can keep it from expanding by strengthing the outside, the inside patch might hold. Use epoxy resin on the inside to allow it a little more flexibility to move with the tank.

Unless the cracks were caused by freezing or some such thing, the chances are that it will crack again - somewhere else if you patch it well enough. It's just getting old and brittle. It might be time to think about a replacement.

If you are really lucky, you might find a used filter like yours that broke differently that you could get for cheap or free. I've seen plenty of freebies over the years on craigslist or freecycle. Or more likely, find a whole filter that works.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

glad i got a baker sand filter.