Prospects of selling a house next door to a "reformed" spree killer?

That's called assault and battery, and possibly tresspass as well, and the government most certainly can and will help *him* in that regard.

Lucky him.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

The issue deals with real estate agents. Not landlords. Besides, under Megan's law, he would not be allowed to live in those conditions. A landlord has the legal right to deny anyone. Specially a homeowner who is just renting out space.

Reply to
richard

And the perv could have filed assault and battery charges as well have sued in civil court and won. Guess who the jail bird is now?

This isn't the days of the wild west where vigilante style law enforcement is the law of the land.

Reply to
richard

Which state would this be in?

The issue is housing. Not employment.

Reply to
richard

My state is Texas. Frankly, I'm distressed that my state even allows them to marry, own property, or attend a church.

Discrimination is not, per se, illegal.

I recall when Peter Lawford and his wife tried to buy an apartment in New York and the resident's committee turned down their application. When pressed, the committee said: "He's an actor and she's a Democrat. We don't allow either on the property."

Reply to
HeyBub

Yeah, just like Jonathon Edington who grabbed a knife and went and murdered his innocent neighbor. Whoops!

Reply to
WDS

It is here (I'm in Texas). Too bad some have to live in a community where they have to put up with such nonsense. Our sheriff once said to a criminal defense attorney: "Don't f*ck with me, asshole! I can get you killed for a case of beer!"

Lest you think I exaggerate, Google "Joe Horn." This guy is waiting for a grand jury to no-bill him for gunning down a couple of goblins in his front yard. The squints had just burglarized Joe's neighbor. Joe saw his duty and he did it.

As to your specific observations: If the complainant is dead, there's really no viable criminal action. Regarding a possible civil action, that, too, dies with the only adverse witness.

Oh, and the guy I used to work with? He was the resident deputy sheriff. In the most populous county - out of 255 - in the state (about four million people live here). It's a great place to be! (unless you're naughty).

Reply to
HeyBub

You said "it is illegal to deny an ex-con housing based on [being a criminal]." I showed that once again, you are wrong.

You don't know the first thing about Megan's Law. Such as, for example, each state has its own version of Megan's Law with its own requirements and limitations.

Reply to
Larry

I would guess that disclosure not necessary and if it were murderer's residence, it would probably be up to local laws. For example, I'm pretty sure that here, you could disclose it but if everybody in the house died of AIDS, disclosure is not allowed by law. The people to ask are your local real estate association.

Reply to
Frank

I was thinking of recourse against the realtor and/or seller for not

Laws may not *allow* the relator to disclose such even if they are aware of it. The home owner may or may not be required to disclose such, rather area dependant on disclosure laws.

In my area for example, folks selling are advised to 'not disclose' as you can't be sued later for anything that comes up. If you do 'disclose' you can be sued even years later for just about anything even if you can prove you did NOT know about it (obviously hard to prove such, and wont save you here).

'Technically' my house was bought 'non-disclosed' but folks have a way here of working out basic stuff 'off the record'. Seller for example quietly warned us that with a house built in 1963, it was largely code-spec to 1963 and that future work, depending on what it was, would sometimes entail additional costs. He was real careful to explain the back room was codespec only to 'enclosed porch' for example and now we understand why ;-). Reality is at the time it was a rental bedroom for a roomate, bed and all. It's a 'legal thing' to call my home a 3BR 1.5 bath, vice a 4 BR 1.5 bath. Had he tried to market it as a 4 BR officially, he would have been required to pay to bring that encloser to codespec of the time for a BR.
Reply to
cshenk

What does the 'code of the west' say about shooting two men in the back?

Reply to
tjab

Your deputy sheriff is a frickin loose cannon. He should have been charged and placed on leave without pay.

Joe Horn was told several times by the 911 dispatcher that plain clothes officers were on the scene. Yet, the man took the law into his own hands and killed two people. Luckily, he got the right two. How did he know those two goblins weren't cops?

Even texas cops get busted for violating the law. Your friend just happens to be lucky so far.

Reply to
richard

Even more so, unarmed. Even the wild west law saw that as murder.

Reply to
richard

That's a totally different situation. As neither condition is protected by law, they can turn down people on those basis.

Reply to
richard

butwhat wrote

Sure, that certainly happens, but its MUCH more likely that you will end up with a bad result from someone who hasnt got caught yet.

AND the only alternative is to lock up all criminals until they die anyway.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Are you sure about that? I would think it would be the reverse: Disclosure immunizes you from being sued in that the buyer knew what he was getting. Non-disclosure allows the buyer to presume nothing abnormal about the property.

Reply to
HeyBub

If Joe's case ever does come to trial, he has available "But yer honor, they NEEDED killin' " defense.

Reply to
HeyBub

When do you get out? Going to halfway house first?

Reply to
Norminn

Nope, as explained to me thats how it works 'here'. If you say you 'disclose' here, you are liable for anything and everything, even stuff you didnt know about.

It's bad as partial disclosure would be better (if allowed).

Reply to
cshenk

in pennsylvania failure to disclose a deficency you know about makes you liable after sale for the entire cost to fix whatever fails.

like the neighbor who sold a 100,000 home failed to disclose the main sewer was bad.

new owner found previous plumber visits...... could prove deficency

cost old owner over 10 grand for new sewer, driveway, wall, entire replacement and restoration.........

a very expensive lesson

Reply to
hallerb