Propane vs. Nat. Gas

From what I've seen, electric ovens tend to have better controls than gas ovens do. Dual fuel is the way to go whether it's a dual fuel range, or a gas cooktop and electric wall ovens.

Reply to
Pete C.

50' garden hose can fix all of that :)
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I have a cabin seven miles east of Cedar City, Utah. It was made in 1987, and electrifried in 1995. It had a propane fridge, and still has the original propane lights. Propane stove and water heater, too. When the electricity goes out, we're good to go except the satellite dish. Lights, stove, hot water, wood stove. Don't know if I want a generator or not. It's nice for things to be silent occasionally. Time to go up soon and see if we can drive through the snow drifts and start using it. Come on, spring.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Ovens can vary wildly simply by their configuration. Placement of air channels. Thickness and types of metals. Size and shape of burners. Lots of things. Ovens are a different animal. I'm mainly talking about burners. What you see is what you get. And once you get used to it, you can set it instantly, and it doesn't take it ten minutes to finally adjust to that new temperature setting.

It's a coin flip with electric vs. gas ovens.

And I think there's a huge difference with ovens, just like burners. A person who bakes a lot will be better at setting, maintaining, and recognizing temperatures than the occasional baker.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Have that combo of gas cooktop, electric oven in one of my houses now, and love it. Will do it again on this remodel. The prices and availability of stand alone gas wall ovens is high, and the venting/ducting is VERY different cost and code wise.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I like to move the grill around too much, and am drawing plans for a thirty five foot tall deck, so would be taking it up there for cookouts. If you are going to leave the grill in one place, yes, by all means, plumb it in. Safer, easier, better. We have different areas, so mobility is a prime consideration.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Or multiple quick disconnects if there are only one or two places where you're likely to move it (gas lines hidden underneath the deck

-- no tripping hazard and out of sight). You might also consider installing a power outlet at the same time to operate a rotisserie or BBQ lamp after dark.

Cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Eldridge

Hi Steve,

I fully agree with you with regards to the cook top; no question, gas provides much better control. My comments were strictly with respect to the oven portion and, again, I've never had any issues with accuracy or temperature control with either gas or electric. Chalk it up to either low culinary standards or extraordinary good luck. :-)

If I had access to natural gas, I would opt for an all gas unit, if for no other reason than to free up space on my main [100-amp] panel. However, as I'm currently restricted to either propane and/or electric, a dual fuel range is my preferred option. An all electric would be a distant third.

Cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Eldridge

nat gas alot cheeper to use than propane,they both cook the same . you dont have to buy tanks of nat gas . if your just cooking with gas , propane may be cheeper than getting the line to and in your house.

ds549

If the cabin is non electric beyond the satellite stuff, it sounds like a good candidate for solar and / or wind setup since it is a relatively small load. Check out stuff at homepower.com for ideas.

Reply to
Pete C.

Quick connects also eliminate the weight of lugging an LP tank around with the grill. LP can be plumbed around just as easily as NG.

Reply to
Pete C.

Nah, it's electric. About $72k to bring the electricity in 1995.

Stove

Reply to
SteveB