propane tank won't open

From missvickie.com:

If the propane tank is full, but it won't open, you need to check the hose attachment. This is because the hose attachment must be properly connected to the propane tank to open up and work properly. ... The users must ensure a tight and secure connection of the propane tank with the gas release mechanism.

Is this true, a 5 pound propane tank won't open if it's not connected to a hose? I've looked at the output connnection and I don't see anything that would say if it's connected to anything or not.

This is the tank I found in the mud near my house. I haven't tried a wrench yet. Thought I'd check with you'uns first.

I know my car won't go into drive unless my foot is on the brake and I can't take the key out until it's in Park or Neutral, but I figure there are parts I can't see. Where are the parts I can't see in a propane tank?

Reply to
micky

It depends on Miss Vickie's definition of "open".

You can "open" the valve by turning the valve handle but the valve won't release any gas unless the hose is properly connected.

If the valve won't allow gas to escape, is it really open, Grasshopper?

Marilyn Manson

Five pound? I know the regular grill tanks have a plunger that closes in the filler when the hose is disconnected. You can push it in with a screwdriver and the gas will come out tho. You can also have a tank that is too full and the float valve will be closed. You have to tilt it a little to get that first bit of gas out.

Reply to
gfretwell

Deep thoughts!

And good question. Miss Vickie should have covered this.

Here is a similarly bad page from the other direction

doesn't even mention that there has to be a hose to get gas.

So I guess I have to use a wrench.

Reply to
micky

... oxy-acetelene cutting torch might work .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

On Thursday, July 1, 2021 at 8:04:04 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote in alt.home.repair:

Are you certain that you want to open the tank?

Reply to
bruce bowser