Propane-powered Mosquito Traps: What's the deal? Do they work?

Have you considred building bat houses? Environmentally friendly, affordable, and feuled by mosquitos... Bats eat a thousand mosquitos a night, and are rumored to be much more effective than birds at eliminating mosquitos (as they don't eat as many dragonflies). All you need is a reliable water source for them and some cedar, and some non-squeemish family members. Apperently they also eat some of those grub-laying beetles that ruin you lawn.

John

Reply to
John

Bats carry some pretty lethal diseases.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I've got nothing against bats, and wouldn't mind if there were bats flying around my place at night (there might very well be - I don't know

- it's hard to see when it's dark out).

But it's a fallacy that bats eat lots of mosquitoes.

I have no doubt that in more tropical or sub-tropical areas, rural, lots of standing water, marshes, etc, that there are clouds of mosquitoes where the bats can just fly around with their mouths open and collect dozens of mosquitoes in a single pass and repeat that several times a minute for several hours.

But in the northern half of the US and southern Canada, in urban or even suburban residential back yards, you're not going to have these dense clouds of mosquites and large open flyways for the bats to swoop in with their mouths open and collect them.

Individual mosquitoes are too small to be detected by the bat's echo-location system, and a single mosquito wouldn't give the bat enough calories to make the effort worth it.

Reply to
Yard Guy