Problems with Type J Halogen bulb in overhead light

I have a ceiling fan/light combination on a dimmer switch which uses a

100-watt Type J halogen bulb. The bulb works ok when its contacts are working, but the contacts - either of the sockets or of the bulb - are giving a lot of trouble. Maybe the spring in the mount is not strong enough. Whatever the reason, every few days the lamp won't work and I have to get up there and "fiddle with" the bulb to make it work, rotate it, etc.

So what's the simplest thing to do to fix this? Should I get a new bulb? New sockets? Both? A new spring? Should I clean the sockets? If so, how? etc. Many thanks for any ideas!

p>

Reply to
Petrel

From overheating the ends of the lamp and the sockets deteriorate to the point that they will no longer conduct. I'd try to replace the fixture with something other than halogen, but if you want to keep it, replace the sockets