problem with Payne Plus 90 furnace

Our home is heated by the Payne Plus 90 furnace. We returned home from a short trip a couple of days ago to find that the furnace is not working. When I turn on the heat from the wall thermostat, I hear the draft inducer motor whine for a few minutes and then shut off. The furnace came with the house that I purchased back in 1994. From what I read online, it is supposed to be a highly reliable energy-efficient furnace. Given its age (at least 13 years), is it better to repair or replace it? I suppose it is dependent upon how serious and costly the repair would be. Thanks for any advice/suggestions. Mike

Reply to
tenplay

Oil, gas?

Reply to
mm

How can you make that decision until you know what is wrong? It could be a $100 fix that would keeo it going for years.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Need to find out what is wrong with it first, probably just an igniter.

Reply to
shebaaa

I had the local gas company come out and look at the furnace. What a surprise! It turns out that a bird flew down the air intake pipe and lodged itself in the draft inducer motor and burned it out. The PSE repairman said that he had seen that only twice before in his 16 years on the job. Cost us $341. Guess that beats buying a new furnace although this one's built in 1990. We hope it continues to work well until we sell our house in a couple of years.

Reply to
tenplay