Preserving a tree-trunk carved bear?

I just bought a chainsaw carved wooden bear. The wood looks like spruce; and seems reasonably dry.

How do I go about weatherproofing it? Deck stain (oil or water based)? Spar varnish? Do I leave it inside for while to make sure it is dry?

I expect to leave it outside during the summer in Rochester NY. Thanks.

Reply to
Toller

"I expect to leave it outside during the summer in Rochester NY" well, keep the snow off it LOL...

I'd th> I just bought a chainsaw carved wooden bear. The wood looks like spruce;

Reply to
Jo

Fiberglass sombrero.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Well obviously I can't fiberglass it, but maybe epoxy would be good. I have a gallon left over from a boat project.

Reply to
Toller

Naah, you make the sombrero out of fiberglass, and put it on the bear at a jaunty angle.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

There's a product called CWF. It has UV protection in it. It comes in colors, including clear. I'd leave the bear inside for a month or so, then apply a coat of CWF. It will darken the wood somewhat. Allow the finish to thoroughly dry for a couple weeks (perhaps in the garage) before placing the bear outdoors. Take the bear in for the winter, and give it another coat of CWF next spring.

Reply to
Phisherman

I used it once on my deck. NEVER AGAIN! It does not penetrate, but goes on like paint. Also is a poor finish. Oil stains and seals are MUCH better.

-- Mike D.

Remove .spamnot to respond by email

Reply to
Mike Dobony