Preping Floor in Kitchen

Hi, I will be attempting to set my kitchen floor in porcelain tiles soon. I have received various advise on what to do with the current floor. My current floor in the kitchen is a Vinyl over vinyl and over somekind of subfloor. After removing some base cabinets, I realized that the floor is not level since the cabinet were installed prior to the installation of the vinyl + subfloor, and it reveals a wooden surface about a quarter inch below my kitchen floor.

Do I 1. Remove the all the vinyl (2) and leave just the adhesive (since they are difficult to remove) and Patch up the ridge (where the base cabinet was removed) with cement backerboard or plywood to bring everything level? 2. Remove everything to bring it to the same level and then install some kind of thin-set cement backerboard?

I live in a co-op apartment building and would like to minimize disturbance to my neighbour downstair as much as possible.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Regards CJ

Reply to
Joe Cole

I am not exactly sure what you have, but be sure to remove all the vinyl.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan