Preparing 25 year old Cedar Shake Shingles for Painting?

The cedar shake shingles are now various shades of black and better half suggests we paint. Should we power wash before painting? I am thinking that if I have shingles power washed, the original color will be restored and maybe I won't have to have shingles repainted :-)

Reply to
Arnie Goetchius

You would have to clean them one way or another before painting, so a power washer used correctly would seem to me to be the way to go, but I'm sure there is plenty of info available online. Including, whether it's advisable to paint shingles that are that old that have never been painted and what else might be involved.

Reply to
trader_4

You are very right. Lots of good stuff on Google. Thanks for the reminder.

Reply to
Arnie Goetchius

Definitely clean anything on the outside of your house before painting. Power washing can restore the original color depending on the condition of the shingles and the pressure used. You might have to replace some shingles though.

Rather than paint them, using a stain is a better option. If you want solid color like a paint, consider a solid stain. You can get advice/opinions from a local paint store. A real paint store, not a store that happens to sell paint.

The paint manufacturers that work with paint stores have local reps that can look at your house and give recommendations. Those are usually free advice as they just want to sell you their product.

Hope that helps.

Reply to
Gary

Ok, I already have to replace some sol a few more won't hurt.

Had not thought about stain. Will look to see if they have any colors that my wife can live with. -- "happy wife makes a happy life" :-)

Good tips. Definitely helps. Many thanks

Reply to
Arnie Goetchius

You can get a solid stain in any custom color you want. I recommend Benjamin Moore, I used it a couple years ago on my house. And I agree that I'd go with solid stain instead of paint. It doesn't form as much of a film like paint does and is more resistant to peeling.

Reply to
trader_4

Thanks for the suggestion. I did not realize that you can get a custom stain color just as you do with paint.

Reply to
Arnie Goetchius

Not connecting for me. Can you post the real url?

Reply to
Newgene McMensa