Best way to store old ceder shake roof shingles?

We just had our cedar shake roof replaced with 40 yr composite. So we have a large amount of old cedar shingles for our fireplace. Right now they are in an unsightly pile on the side of the house. We have limited covered space under the deck but it is bare dirt floor. Also I have a tool shed where I store the mower and other yard tools. I could move those into the garage temporarily. We live in the rainy NW so it would be important to keep the shingles covered. Also I am concerned the old shingles will attract insects and critters. Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
tenplay

If you have access, lay old pallets in the crawlspace. You can then stack the shingles off the ground. The pallets will rot in some years, by which time you may have burned the shingles. (You may find cedar burns undesirably hot and quickly.)

Reply to
Don Phillipson

As Don says, cedar shakes/shingles make very poor and very dangerous wood for fireplaces, not much better in an airtight stove. If you are determined to get rid of them that way, store on pallets out of the way and cover the top with tarps, plastic or similar. Under the deck will work by stacking on pallets as someone else said.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K