Premature death of a two year old in the home

I just witnessed the premature death of a two year old in my home. It was so bright and lively, then suddenly it grew dim. An hour later, total death occurred. This CFL bulb was guaranteed to last 5 years, but only lived two years. How tragic! It used to illuminate my hallway, even on the coldest, darkest nights. Now it's gone forever, leaving behind only a twisted glass skeleton which will never light again. I'm in a constant state of mourning, and trying to determine how I'm going to afford the $7,500 funeral expenses, since there was no life insurance. I have a brand new LED bulb, but no bulb will ever replace my old friend, who met sudden death, long before it's time. Especially after it spend many days travelling across the ocean from China, only to die in my hallway at the young age of two. This is so sad, I am left with tears.

I can only hope and pray it went to lightbulb heaven, where it will shine again for eternity, along with the sun, the greatest lightbulb of all time.

Please send prayers!

Reply to
Paintedcow

I'm sorry for your loss but you shooda bought the extended warranty for *only* $29.95

Reply to
Dilbert

It is very tragic considering he must hire a HAZMAT team to properly dispose of it. Will cost more than the extended warranty.

Reply to
Frank

No!! Even if the CFL is actually broken, you dispose of it the same way we've disposed of straight fluorescent tubes for decades: wrap it in paper and throw it in the garbage.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Are CFL boys or girls? They are twisted, only work when turned on, help you see clearly, have heavy bases, don't work when it's cold. Would that be male or female?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

When I was a kid, there was a woods near my house with a stream running thru it. On the backside of that woods was a row of smallish industrial buildings. That stream ran right behind those buildings. Those buildings used to dump all sorts of trash back there, and burn some of it, but it seemed there were always lots of florescent bulbs tossed back there. Some were real long (as a kid, those 8ft ones seemed really big) and some smaller ones. Older kids went back there and smashed them on the rocks in the stream. Even though I was very young, that seemed like a bad thing to do, and I was afraid they would explode, even though I did smash a few of them anyhow. I was fascinated by the white powder inside of them, and how the glass turned clear after water got inside. More than once I'd get that white florescent powder on myself.

Now that I think about it, that was a really bad thing to put in that stream, but then again, it was those businesses who were at fault. I suppose the bulbs did not fit in their trash cans, so that's why they tossed them out back.

Oddly enough, some years later, I was behind those buildings, when I found several boxes of bumper stickers for the Sierra Club. At the time I didn't know what the Sierra Club was, but I brought home a handful of those stickers and stuck them on everything in sight. Many years later I learned that the Sierra Club is an environmental organization in the United States, intended to protect wild places. There were still several of those bumper stickers on the basement wall in my parents home, and reality slapped me in the face..... Why that company tossed those bumper stickers really said how they felt about the environment, after seeing all that rubbish being tossed into that stream over the years.

I still wonder why that company had all those bumper stickers, and tossed several full boxes of them..... I now wonder if they might have printed them there, and made some errors on those boxes????? I dont know what they manufactured there, and probably never will. That was over 55 years ago.

It's been at least 12 years since I was last near there, I live in another state now, but 12 years ago, most of that woods was gone, turned into homes and/or more businesses, but a small park remained at one end. The stream had become a large concrete sewer pipe past the park, where most of that stream had once been, and it now ran under a 6 lane freeway and vanished..... Just like that woods, leaving only memories of my youth and my favorite place to play as a child!

And the times, they are a changing .....

Reply to
Paintedcow

Maybe:

Frank

my oldelementary school was closed 4 or 5 years ago. its finally bbeen sold for use as a plumbers trade school.

the buyers had to agree to clean up the property. over a 100 grand o remove alll the fluroscent lights

total clean up costs over 250 grand. we all grew up in that building

Reply to
bob haller

Where is this? (state, and area is OK if you don't want to get too deteailed).

Did the school leave a lot of burnt out tubes, or did the new guys have to remove all the overhead fixtures?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

pittsburgh pa sheraden elementary. long list of must dos, remove all fixtures and all bulbs, remove a smatering of nasties all thru the building, asbestos floor tiles, asbestos around boiler and lines. etc etc

a major mitigation project

Reply to
bob haller

I wonder how we old folks ever lived? I've heard asbestos is fine if left in place. Start scraping, and fibers are every where. Much like refrigerants. Back when we used to just landfill the refrigerator, no one noticed. Now we have mandatory recovery. So people cut out the compressor (HISS!!!!) and take the refrig to the landfill after releasing all the refrigerants. Some how, the enviro people make it worse.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon