Powered gate openers

Thinking about putting one in. Know nothing about them. Don't know anyone who has one. Any recommended brands, or what/who to stay away from. It will be a slider. I see prices all over the place.

Thanks

Reply to
Rick Samuel

As a former rural UPS man, I can tell you sliders seem to be the more trouble prone of automatic gates, I'd get the best actuator & wheels I could find. The chains of which there is much, tend to stretch, the tracks get bent, then you start to get derailment. With swing gates, you can always take the actuator(s) loose and use it as a manual gate (one bolt), with a slider, you have to get the chain out of the way, and it is pretty integrated. The neatest one (though not most dependable) I've ever seen had treadles on both sides and used the weight of the car to open it. Wheels spun, weights raised and in Rube Goldberg fashion it opened & stayed open until the flywheel lost momentum then the weights took over and closed it.

Reply to
Eric in North TX