Power tools Milwaukee vs Chicago

I have a Milwaukee Sawzall that I've been using for 40 years and pretty much all of my tools are Milwaukee. The one tiny problem I have with it is the blade is tightened by an Allen wrench screw and now matter how tight I have it, it will eventually loosen up.

The other day, I was at a friend's house and used their Chicago equivalent. The blade holder is a turn and snap in place type and there is nothing to go loose.

No, I'm not going to get another one...just wondering if any have had similar experiences.

Reply to
philo

Chicago Electric is Harbor Freight's line of tools with a name chosen to obviously confuse people with the Milwaukee brand name. They do that with other lines too. Central Pneumatic is not Chicago Pneumatic, Chicago being the recognized brand name in this case.

That said, they may get the job done or they may require repair out of the box. For Harbor Freight, the fewer moving parts the better although they can screw up a machinists vise.

I've got an electric impact driver that I bought for one project. It survived and has come in handy several times. A pancake air compressor blew out the regulator after a couple of uses. I didn't need a regulated supply, so i replumbed it and it's still goign strong. A floor jack spit out the cradle when the rivet broke on first use. A bolt fixed that.

The wrenches aren't too bad. I use them for tool sets on the bikes. If they get ripped off it isn't a big losws.

some people love HF, some hate it. It has it's uses but go in with your eyes open. Fortunately there is a local store so I can fondle the items first hand rather than playing mail order roulette.

Reply to
rbowman

You do know parts are available to solve your blade loosening problem ? IIRC it's just a collar and an allen screw , might cost all of 15 bucks .

Reply to
Snag

The new Milwaukee Sawzall has a clipin blade too - and using a star washer on the allen screw keeps it from backing out on the old one. Mine has to be AT LEAST 40 years old

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Sawzall have had a turn and snap type for a quarter of a century. My 50th Anniversary Super Sawzall has one and that was purchased in 1999.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Still sticking with Milwaukee.

Considering the tightening screw is 40 years old, it's probably worn a bit. They did supply a second one that I just put in. Maybe that will solve the minor problem.

Reply to
philo

Yes. I think the allen screw was just a bit worn

Reply to
philo

Duh, start washer

thank you

Reply to
philo

OK chances are I will never have to replace the one I have

Reply to
philo

Probably not. OTOH, I have one from Harbor Freight and the plastic is starting to crack, even though haven't abused it. (Still, it probably won't break before I'm done with it, or I'm done.)

Reply to
micky

When I was a kid, I used a hand drill and one day I was shocked to see that my dad spent maybe $10 to buy a Black and Decker power drill.

I still have it but mostly now use a cordless.

As far as maintenance, I did once have to take the B&D apart to oil it.

Reply to
philo

You still had the screw they gave you 40 years ago?!!!! I'm good at saving things for a long time, but things that small eventually get mixed in and can't be found.

Reply to
micky

I would have likely gotten the "smart idea" to tape it to the inside of the handle (after unscrewing the handle) so I wouldn't lose it - and then 15 years later when the tape let go and the handle started to ratle, I'd have taken it apart and found the loose screw, and forgetting "I" had put it there and what it was for, have torn the whole tool apart trying to findwhere it had come from, then put it back together and tossrd the screw into anold coffee can of screws - where I would have found it when looking for a screw to fix something totally unrelated 5 or 10 years later - - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

ROTFL

Reply to
micky

Considering that it never comes out...no mystery

Reply to
philo

I was talking about the second one!

Reply to
micky

except the "spare" screw supoplied 40 years ago was never installed until just recently - as you would understand if you actually read the post - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Duh.

Anyway it was still in a sealed bag

I think the star washer was good advice that I should have thought of

Reply to
philo